Sarah's Reviews > The Doctor's Wife

The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage

Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: owned
Read from March 02 to 05, 2012

I've read books about couples with commitment issues before. Their relationship is lacking, the wife finds someone more intriguing, the husband finds out, there's some other drama thrown into it, the end. But this book is so far off from that.

There isn't a lot of information given in the first part of the book, but it certainly drew me in right away. Actually, the entire book was like that for me: I loved every part of it because it was all so interesting to me. I loved that the author went back to explain each character's past. I especially loved hearing about Simon and Lydia's; both of their stories, especially when combined, were heartbreaking. On one hand you feel bad that they're trapped in this relationship together, but on the other, you're screaming at them to leave (which explains why Simon ends up having an affair with Annie). I think Lydia's history was the most fascinating to me because over time, it started to explain why she turned out the way she was. I understood why she turned to religion to save her, and how she had always been a broken sort of character that latched on to anything that could help her, despite what the repercussions might be.

Annie and Michael's relationship is a bit more cliche. Michael is a doctor who is never home because he cares more about his work, which leaves Annie feeling lonely. I'm bored with that story, so I think I clung to Lydia/Simon's parts more. Thankfully there was so much more going on throughout the book that it wasn't sodden down by the depression of their marriage.

I'm trying not to give away too many spoilers, and I don't know exactly what to say about this book because I'm still in awe of it. Everything pieced together over time, and while I do wish there would have been a more drawn out ending, I absolutely loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doctor's Wife.

03/02/2012 page 106
03/04/2012 page 185
53.0% "holy, this book is so hard to put downnn"

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan W. I think you talked me into reading this book!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!

Sarah it's really great. i hope you like it!

message 3: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan W. Thanks!! I'm in the middle of a book. Then I will start on this one!