Susan's Reviews > Haven Divided

Haven Divided by Josh de Lioncourt

Note: This is Book 2 in a series and really needs to be read after Book 1.

So the end of Book 1 left us with some big revelations, like that whole King Arthur story being eternal thing. Book 2 picks up pretty much where Book 1 ended. Emily has her hands full surviving in this fantasy world, but she’s finding aged hints of her old world, like left over relics of a time lost. So there’s something more going on there, tying the world (and time?) that Emily left in Book 1 and her current location.

The story jumps back and forth between these two, following Emily’s best friend from Minneapolis, Kaycee. She has had such a hard time since Emily disappeared. Alcohol has become her crutch, she’s failing at school, and hockey will never be the same without Emily. But then she falls in with a struggling band. It was interesting to see Kaycee and how Emily’s disappearance impacted her. There’s also some shadowy tie still between the two that seems to come out in their dreams.

While Kaycee’s story was interesting, those parts often took me out of the epic fantasy feel of Emily’s story and that slowed the story down a bit for me. Both Kaycee and Emily have grown in this series. Celine and Corbbmac grew a little in Book 1. The rest of the characters have stayed pretty much the same as when we met them.

And that whole King Arthur myth tie-in pretty much faded away. We got that big strong hint to it at the end of Book 1 and then the story didn’t really do anything with it here in Book 2. Now I don’t feel the story needed the King Arthur stuff to begin with, but after making so much drama about it, we have to do something meaningful with it right? Perhaps that will happen in Book 3.

Over all, it was an interesting addition to the series. I did like Book 1 a wee bit better because we spent 95% of our time in the epic fantasy world. 3.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Reay Kaplan continues to do a good job with this series. She’s a perfect fit for Emily, capturing her emotions throughout the tale. I also like how she portrayed Kaycee in her grief and depression. She’s got a great voice for young Michael and for the gruff Corbbmacc. I would like to see more variation in the male voices and several of them sounded too similar. The pacing was good and there were no tech issues with the recording. 4.5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Josh de Lioncourt. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven Divided.

June 26, 2019 – Started Reading