Tara Anderson Gold's Reviews > Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip--Confessions of a Cynical Waiter

Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica

Mar 02, 2012

liked it

Sometimes when I'm browsing in the Nook store (which I do almost daily), I go a little crazy and just buy something because I want to read it immediately. Forget everything else on my wish list. Forget researching the title. Forget making it wait in the TBR stack to be sure. I just willy-nilly hit that "BUY NOW" button and tear into it. That's how I ended up with Waiter Rant.

Waiter Rant comes from the website of the same name. The structure takes the narrative of Dublanica's journey as a waiter in New York (and a waiter-blogger/waiter-writer) and frames it in individual chapters that each focus on a different aspect of his rants. There are chapters about Mother's Day, vindictive waiter tricks, tipping, etc.

Overall, I found myself not liking The Waiter. He is certainly someone I wouldn't be friends with. He does seem aware of his shortcomings and bad behavior, but I still can't forgive him because he doesn't seem to care or want to change. He does come off as very entitled, the very behavior he accuses his customers of. Much of the book is spent talking about his blog and trying to get his book deal. Authors don't necessarily make a whole lot of money, and Dublanica still has to wait tables after he sells his book. But throughout the book I get the feeling he thinks writing the book is going to save him from his direction-less life. Oops.

That being said, I do enjoy books and blogs that give me a sneak peak into worlds that I am not a part of. I have never been a waiter, for good reason. I'd be a terrible waiter! I like reading stories like this to remind myself that my job is awesome and I've made good choices in life. I also gain empathy that I take with me into the real world.

Final Grade: C It didn't change my life, but it was a fun reading experience. I zipped through it in just a few days. Folks that have been waiters might appreciate it more, but it's worth checking out if you are intrigued. It is definitely an adult non-fiction book, so I wouldn't put in in my library or recommend it to students. A few friends come to mind that might enjoy it, though.

The Librarian Who Doesn't Say Shhh

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiter Rant.

03/27/2016 marked as: read