Lucia's Reviews > The Rage of Dragons

The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter

bookshelves: fantasy

AHHH, WHAT A RIDE! I have only one regret about this book and it's the fact that I haven't read it sooner because The Rage of Dragons is one hell of a debut. Was it perfect? Nope. Did I have fun reading it? Huge yes. I have a lot to say about this novel, so bear with me.

Now I get all those comparisons to Red Rising. You are right to think this comparison being weird, they are nothing alike when it comes to setting. The Rage of Dragon is African-ispired fantasy with dragons and magic while Red Rising Saga is basically politics and Vikings in space - you probably can't get less similar stories. And yet... Both first books in series have caste system, academy battles and military story with focus on vendetta. Both main characters have the same drive, the same determination for revenge, the same raw appeal. However, while Brown's Darrow makes you sympathetic towards his cause and evolves during his journey, Winter's Tau is single-minded never seeing the bigger picture. Talk about being blinded by revenge. Sometimes he got on my nerves so bad with his narrow-mindedness! I truly hope sequel will bring more character development for Tau.

"Life is nothing more than moments in time. To achieve greatness, you have to give up those moments. You have to give your life to your goal."

Another thing that bothered me was unsatisfactory introduction into the magic system. The absence of glossary at the beginning of this book negatively affects the quality of the story. I found magic system, or better said the description of magic system and military hierarchy a bit more complicated for my liking without proper explanation. Readers are thrown headfirst into the depths of it right from the very beginning. I found myself repeatedly rereading some parts and new words in hopes to understand the details of how this magic system works and it disrupted the flow of the story for me since some things didn't make sense at first. I guess that author was going for the shock factor with heavy action right from the first page but because of my lack of proper understanding of how things work, it was chaotic. Fortunately, it got better (or I got better understanding of it) as story progressed and I could enjoy the story properly.

Luckily, great world-building and awesome training/sparring/dueling/fighting saved the day. The Rage of Dragons must be the most satisfying military fantasy novel I have ever read to the date. Author gave us plenty of fights and then some. They were all exciting, engaging and absolute pleasure to read. Rich and unique world-building only solidified the experience. This book redefines the meaning of action-packed. I'm worried that whatever I read next would seem slow and boring in comparison with this novel. If it wasn't for the two complaints that I mentioned earlier, this book would go straight to my all time favorite shelf.

To sum up, The Rage of Dragons was a pleasant surprise and very enjoyable read: fast-paced, full of action and plenty of fights. If you are fan of military fantasy genre do not hesitate to pick this book up. I need more of this unique world and I need it now! This debut serves as perfect set up for fantasy series that has a great potential. I truly cannot wait for the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rage of Dragons.

June 26, 2019 – Shelved
June 26, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 26, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
Started Reading
November 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
November 15, 2019 – Finished Reading
November 24, 2019 –
6.0% "What a prologue!!!"
November 26, 2019 –
25.0% "Things are heating up!"
November 28, 2019 –
75.0% "I'm nervous! *biting my fingers anxiously*"

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Petrik Fantastic review, Lucia! That Red Rising similarity is so apt right? It reminds me of Darrow in a fantasy setting xD

Lucia Petrik wrote: "Fantastic review, Lucia! That Red Rising similarity is so apt right? It reminds me of Darrow in a fantasy setting xD"

Thanks Petrik! And oh yes, it definitely reminded me of Darrow but with less depth? At least author made up for it with plenty of super action ;)

message 3: by Franzi (new) - added it

Franzi Red rising similarity? I have to read this! :D
great review!

Lucia Franzi wrote: "Red rising similarity? I have to read this! :D
great review!"

Thanks! And yes, there were some similarities, something like more straight-forward Darrow in fantasy setting :)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, Lucia! Glad you enjoyed <3 x

Lucia Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lovely review, Lucia! Glad you enjoyed <3 x"

Thanks Alex, I had great time with this book :)

message 7: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Any positive comparison to Red Rising and I'm there :)

Lucia Kelly wrote: "Any positive comparison to Red Rising and I'm there :)"

Well, do not expect another Red Rising but yeah, similarities are there and this book is so much fun!

message 9: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Red Rising is my absolute favorite series. Sounds good to me!

message 10: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena K. Great review, I'm glad you liked it :)

Lucia Lena wrote: "Great review, I'm glad you liked it :)"

Thanks! :)

ChopinFC Awesome review! I'm listening to this now and audiobooks and I'm having so much fun it's awesome! 🙂

Lucia ChopinFC wrote: "Awesome review! I'm listening to this now and audiobooks and I'm having so much fun it's awesome! 🙂"

Yay, I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it so much :)