Claire's Reviews > His Mistress By Morning

His Mistress By Morning by Elizabeth Boyle

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** Charlotte is a shy spinster in love with Sebastian, who doesn't even know she exists. When she is left a magic ring in her aunt's will, she wishes to be the woman Sebastian loves. Boom, Charlotte is transported to an alternate universe where she spends three-quarters of the book as the courtesan Sebastian is madly in love with. Unfortunately, while in the alternate reality, both the hero and the heiress act so completely out of character that it takes an almost monumental suspension of disbelief that the two of them truly belong together. In reality, Sebastian is a kind, responsible older brother attempting to save his family from financial ruin. In the alternate, he is so madly in love with a temperamental courtesan who obviously is not in love with him, that he spends his family's last dime on what amounts to a single date. Not to mention that Charlotte, while in the alternate reality, is so stupid and forgetful (I assume the forgetting is because of a minimum word count for the author) that it makes me want to shake her.

When Charlotte finally realizes she can't continue as a courtesan shunned by society, letting Sebastian lead his family happily down the path to debtor's prison, she takes back her wish and life returns to normal. She is, of course, changed by her experience, and suddenly gets her brains back! With only a quarter of the book left to go, she is making plans and sticking to them. Sadly, it's also where I started heartily disliking Sebastian. He went from kind and responsible, to a weak, lovelorn idiot, to a priggish sexist jerk. He doesn't remember the time he spent with the alternate reality Charlotte, yet they have barely a chance to get to know each other before he ends up falling madly in love with her.

To sum up, I didn't believe in their love and I didn't get to know the characters enough to want them to fall in love. I spent most of the book wishing it would just end already. So I gave it one star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Mistress By Morning.

March 2, 2012 – Started Reading