destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Hitorijime My Hero, Vol. 1

Hitorijime My Hero, Vol. 1 by Memeko Arii

Eh... the cons definitely outweighed the pros with this one. The biggest pro is that the art is fun and cute, but the immediate downside to the art is that so many of the characters look so much alike that it's sometimes difficult to tell who you're looking at. On a similar note, the dialogue is really poorly formatted! Conversations overlap each other a lot and many of the speech bubbles don't clearly indicate who's talking, especially when the speaker is "off-screen", so there were entire conversations in this book where I had no clue who was saying what.

The entire beginning of the book is so confusing, though I don't know if that's because this is a spin-off of Hitorijime My Boyfriend, which I didn't realize until I had finished this manga. On the off case that it's entirely my fault for missing that, I'm not counting off for how confusing the beginning was, otherwise that probably would've been enough to knock this down to 1 star.

The biggest issue, though, that I think a lot of readers will have with this book is the age gap in the romance. You know from pretty early on that the romance is going to be between a high schooler and a high school teacher, which I know is a deal-breaker enough on its own for many folks (I wasn't aware of it beforehand or I probably wouldn't have agreed to read and review this, either), but on top of that, the student is 15 years old and the teacher is 27. Any chance I could ever have of rooting for this couple was pretty thoroughly shattered once I realized that.

On a final note, the main character keeps calling himself people's "underling", which I take it means he's their servant, basically. I've never heard of this or read a story featuring it before and I didn't enjoy it. Is this a common trope that I've somehow missed in my many years of manga reading?

Thank you so much to the publisher and Amazon Vine program for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitorijime My Hero, Vol. 1.

June 25, 2019 – Shelved