Susan's Reviews > Haven Lost

Haven Lost by Josh de Lioncourt

bookshelves: 4review, action-adventure, alternate-universe, audiobook, contemporary, epic-fantasy, fantasy, female-lead, ya

It’s definitely epic! We start off in the real world where highschooler Emily is playing a serious hockey game somewhere in Minneapolis. The team loses and Emily feels she let the team down. Her coach and her best friend (Kayce) each try to cheer her up. But she heads home in a funk. And then her day gets worse! Emily’s home life isn’t ideal at all and that sends her running out into the night and then she wakes up in a completely different world in the hold of a ship surrounded by 7 other young ladies.
At this point, the story really started to grab me. Emily has to keep her wits about her as she learns everything she can about this world. At the Seven Skies, the ladies must prove their worth to the Sorceress. She takes on only a few trainees each year. Emily quickly made friends with shy Seline. In exchange for general info about this world, Emily teaches Seline how to read. I thought that was cute, but I was a little surprised at how quickly Seline learned to read.
But then brutal reality rears it’s ugly head. The Sorceress’s brand of justice doesn’t sit well with Emily and she vows to save a small boy from such an ugly fate. So Emily and Seline rescue young Michael and unexpectedly meet up with Corbmac, who also felt the same way. Together, they all flee in the night! High adventure ensues!

The story does have some slow moments, and a few others that I felt could have some drama added. Over all, it’s a fun adventure story without too much depth. Emily does have some character growth. The rest of the characters are rather static.

I really enjoyed Emily’s reactions to the variety of beings in this fantasy world. Like that kitspur named Rascal (imagine a cat crossed with a bat) freaks her out at first. Then there’s the lizard people as well, but Garret eventually becomes a friend. Toss in some salt mines, mysterious crystals, and a few undead walking around, you have plenty of odd stuff for Emily to adjust to.

Michael keeps calling Emily ‘Derek’ and that is at first just ignored. Later on the mystery is revealed, and that leads to a bigger revelation! I was surprised. I didn’t see that coming. So, in the end it was fun and I look forward to Book 2. 4/5 stars.

The Narration: Reay Kaplan has a great voice for Emily. She sounds like a 16-year-old young lady. Kaplan had distinct voices for all the characters. Her male voices were believable. I liked all her regional accents for the various characters. Her old man voice is pretty good and her gruff and sometimes grumpy voice for Cormac was very believable. The pacing was good and there were no technical issues with the recording. 5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook from the author. All opinions are 100% my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven Lost.

June 21, 2019 – Started Reading