Melanie's Reviews > The Major's Welcome Home

The Major's Welcome Home by Tessa Bailey

it was ok
bookshelves: buddy-reads, contemporary, erotic-scenes, read-in-2019, romance, paloma

“I’m welcoming you home, Major”

It breaks my heart to say this, but this was easily my least favorite Tessa Bailey story so far! I will say that I don’t really like military love interests, or love interests that are as possessive as the one in this story, and I especially don’t like it when they like to be called daddy. Full disclosure and all that; my dad is a Marine and I just can’t, friends, I just can’t. So, I think many people will enjoy this story more than I did, but I really need to just stop trying to make military romances work for me.

Beck - Army Major Mastermind, who is currently dealing with the loss of a friend, and is finally back on US soil after many years away, and plans to stay back home.

Kenna - Daughter of a Lieutenant General, who has put the fear of God into any Army soldier who would touch his daughter, but he has asked her to pick up Beck from the airport. And after she makes some gross jokes about how he probably likes videogames; she realizes that he’s a total hottie and she would be honored to make him a sandwich and maybe welcome him home any way he would like.

You all see where this is going. Beck doesn’t realize who Kenna’s family is right away, but once he does, he is already head over heels for her. And he hasn’t thought of the woman who wrote him a dear john letter a year ago, who he thought he would spend the rest of his life with. Oh, also, Beck is a virgin and has never done anything sexual with anyone before.

I will say that I did like that the guy in this story was a virgin, and I really liked it at the start when he would desperately beg for any contact, but I didn’t love the sex scenes in this book. Now, this might be again because of what I said in the first paragraph with military guys, and daddy kinks, but I also just thought that Beck was too possessive. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good possessive lover, but he was too much, even for my submissive ass. Also, he is very southern and, if you’ve watched a certain booktube video of mine, I don’t really like cow-people/farmers/southern gentlemen/whatever love interests either, and Beck is very much that.

Plus, the sex locations and positions in this were kind of questionable, too. Again, you do whatever is safe and makes you feel good, but her just like going to town while he was walking around the gym? Baby, what are you doing? And right after messing around in a pool? Girl, no. And did you all clean up the gym/therapy equipment after you were humping away? Probably not. Yikes. Also, his first time on an armchair? I don’t know, and I’m not here to ever sex shame, but some questionable choices were made, that’s all I’m saying. Especially when so many other of Tessa’s books have 11/10 sex scenes (and positions and locations) in them!

But we get to see both characters realize that things that happened to them in the past were not their fault, and that they are both deserving of happiness. Sometimes life can just be cruel, whether that means shitty parents, or shitty heartbreak over losing someone you love. And I really did like the dynamic of him being the innocent one, while she was a “bad girl” at the start of this book.

Overall, this one just didn’t work for me. Basically, I would 100% smash Kenna, and 100% pass on Beck, so it left me in a weird reading headspace. Especially when this story started to really take a stereotypical alpha male “omg, I must give you my seed and have all the babies” turn. Again, it makes me sad, because I love Tessa Bailey’s other stuff so much! But this one just really missed the mark for me in so many different ways.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and Trigger Warnings: talk of loss of a loved one, talk of war themes, use of the slur g*psy, talk of heart attacks, and abandonment.

Buddy read with Paloma, Chelsea, Jane, Joce, Emily, & Madalyn! ❤

I read this for SummerAThon! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Major's Welcome Home.

June 25, 2019 – Shelved
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
June 26, 2019 – Started Reading
June 26, 2019 – Shelved as: paloma
June 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie thank you queen

Kimberlee I have read this multiple times. There are scenes where one must brace thyself.

message 3: by Elicia (new)

Elicia She has a couple of books available on bookoutlet as well!

Sylvia Thank you! This was exactly the short and hot read I needed. <3

Melanie Katie wrote: "thank you queen"

You are so welcome, beautiful! ❤xx

Melanie Kimberlee wrote: "I have read this multiple times. There are scenes where one must brace thyself."

Oh wow, this is all I needed to hear! Bless you! ❤xx

Melanie Elicia wrote: "She has a couple of books available on bookoutlet as well!"

Wow, you are the REAL MVP! Thank you, love! ❤xx

Melanie Sylvia wrote: "Thank you! This was exactly the short and hot read I needed. <3"

My heart! Thank you for this comment, bb! I can't wait to finally start when I get home today! ❤xx

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks fun!

Lea (drumsofautumn) I just checked, it's free on AmazonUK and DE too!

Melanie Dita wrote: "Looks fun!"

I just got home and i can't wait to dive in! ❤xx

Melanie Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "I just checked, it's free on AmazonUK and DE too!"

So.... are you buddy reading it with me too? ❤xx

message 13: by Ashley ✨ (new)

Ashley ✨ omg need to start this immediately 🥰🥰🥰

Melanie Dorothy Atim-oketapearl .Benson oketa wrote: "Awww how cute"

Hehe 💖xx

Melanie Ashley ✨ wrote: "omg need to start this immediately 🥰🥰🥰"

Happy reading, sweetheart! 💖xx

message 17: by Scrill (new)

Scrill I have never ventured into military romance for the same reason (my dad was a lieutenant commander in the Navy), but on the contrary, I love me a cowboy/southern man. So now I am on the fence. Except, those sex scene descriptions, I might have to pass.

message 18: by Mathew (new)

Mathew This Is Very Nice Story

Melanie Scrill wrote: "I have never ventured into military romance for the same reason (my dad was a lieutenant commander in the Navy), but on the contrary, I love me a cowboy/southern man. So now I am on the fence. Exce..."

We have so much in common and I'm always living for it, bb! Hahaha! But you should for sure give this one a try! It's free and short and now I want to know your thoughts and feelings! 💖xx

Sarah I live on a small farm. Your cow people comment made me laugh out loud.