Bibliophile's Reviews > The Desert of Souls

The Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones

422087
I'm really wavering between three and four stars for this "Arabian Nights" fantasy set in the Baghdad of Harun al-Rashid. The setting and the description are wonderfully well done in this "Arabian Nights" fantasy (in fact, I could easily see this particular story being one of Scheherazade's. My only quibble is that I think it succeeded a little TOO well at being Arabian Night's-ish, because like those stories, I never felt an emotional connection to the narrator or the characters, so when deeply sad things happened to them, I wasn't particularly moved. Still, it's a lovely first novel; Howard Jones is really excellent at world-building and I thoroughly enjoyed the story and am hoping for further adventures from Dabir and Asim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Desert of Souls.

March 2, 2012 – Started Reading
March 2, 2012 – Shelved
March 2, 2012 –
page 59
19.09% "So far, this is a delightful Arabian Nights adventure (even set in the Baghdad of Haroun al-Rashid, just as the original Arabian Nights were.) From the afterword, it looks like the author is really fascinated by this time & place, which is awesome b/c I share that fascination too! (Just saw some of the Abbasid artifacts at the Met a couple of weeks ago, so I've got the visuals in my head.)"
March 3, 2012 – Finished Reading