Rebecca A's Reviews > Betrayal

3020605
Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-loved, books-i-own, books-read-in-2012, favorite-series
Read in March, 2012

This was a bangin' follow up to an extremely creative and addictive first novel. Especially for a second book in a series. Usually in a series the second book tends to fall flat, usually somewhat incomparable to the first book. I found that was not the case with this book.

As the relationship between Emma and Bennett grows deeper and stronger they are faced with so many dilemmas, some out of their control and others completely within them. I love that there were conflicts between them and that everything wasn't perfect. In fact the way he acted the morning after the catastrophe at the ghostkeeper headquarters was a bit reminiscent of another "forbidden" love, it was also something completely different in a way. He did act selfishly in a lot of ways in this book.

I was very excited to see the return of Harry and Sara, even if there was a very bitter conflict to be resolved. I loved how it got resolved again. It once again showed how human Emma was. She wasn't an almighty ghostkeeper in this sense. She was a girl who owed a friend a favor and dragged her heels in doing it because she didn't feel like facing Harry and Sara's ire.

The introduction of Lukas and the other ghostkeeper Simon. It brought some interesting elements into the story, including some interesting insight into ghostkeeper and ghostkeeper relationships.

I loved Natalie's development in this story and the extra elements. Emma isn't the perfect girl that most would assume her to be. She is disabled quite a bit in this story and even her powers cannot completely overcome what is thrown at her. It takes the absolute be all, end all to break a spell put on her.

Neos is as chilling as ever. His quest for power grows ever more gruesome and chilling. The further exploration into Asarum is quite interesting and I have to say that what happens to her Aunt Rachel and the leader of the Knoll is particularly gruesome. I was very surprised at the level of violence in this story, in all of them, but it's actually very refreshing to see something almost on par with pulling punches like The Hunger Games did. BUT do not get me wrong in any way. These are two vastly different genres of novels.

The actual betrayal though. It kind of punched me in the face. I was expecting it in a way and in another way I just didn't understand why they had to go there. Then again, Lee Nichols has been extremely brash in doing whatever she needed to do to drive the plot.

All in all it's a bang up novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayal.