Laura Noggle's Reviews > The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

bookshelves: 2019, biography-autobiography, history, pulitzer-prize-winners

“It is not often that a man can make opportunities for himself. But he can put himself in such shape that when or if the opportunities come he is ready to take advantage of them.”

It was probably unfair to read this so soon after Ron Chernow's Grant, which is still the best biography I've read to date.

Morris does an exceptional job—however—this book is filled with rather mundane minutia and not as much heart or character as I was hoping for. Maybe I just like an underdog story (Grant) more than a born into wealth, power and privilege memoir.

Still, Roosevelt's transformation from a sickly, scrawny science nerd to powerful politician was impressively delineated.

This 1980 Pulitzer Prize winner is meaty and informative, if a tad dry in spots. Looking forward to reading Theodore Rex and Colonel Roosevelt in the future.

——————

My favorite aspect of Roosevelt was his voracious appetite for literature. The following quote from Teddy Roosevelt's 10 Rules for Reading inspired me to pick up this book:

"He would read a book before breakfast every day, and depending on his schedule, another two or three in the evening (he was a speed reader extraordinaire). By his own estimates he read tens of thousands of books over the course of his lifetime."

“The president manages to get through one book a day even when he is busy. Owen Wister has lent him a book shortly before a full evening’s entertainment at the white house, and been astonished to hear a complete review of it over breakfast. “Somewhere between six one evening and eight-thirty next morning, beside his dressing and his dinner and his guests and his sleep, he had read a volume of three-hundred-and-odd pages, and missed nothing of significance that it contained.”
— Edmund Morris, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

June 24, 2019 – Shelved
June 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 7, 2019 – Started Reading
July 14, 2019 –
56.0% "So hard not to compare this with Chernow’s Grant."
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: biography-autobiography
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: history
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: pulitzer-prize-winners
July 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Selena (new)

Selena Great review Laura!

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Laura!!

Numidica Glad you enjoyed it! Great review! One of the more puzzling things about TR was that, despite his unbelievably extensive reading, he was not in my opinion a particularly good writer. But he certainly was a man of action, and brave, and dedicated to the common good.

Laura Noggle Selena wrote: "Great review Laura!"

Thank you, Selena!

Laura Noggle Deanna wrote: "Great review, Laura!!"

Thank you, Deanna!

Laura Noggle Numidica wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it! Great review! One of the more puzzling things about TR was that, despite his unbelievably extensive reading, he was not in my opinion a particularly good writer. But he certain..."

Yes, it was interesting to read about the success and failures of his books. When I looked them up, I was surprised by how under-reviewed they are on GR. Which ones did you read?

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Wow! I did not know of Roosevelt's speed reading capability. I could use some of that.
Fab review, Laura!

Laura Noggle Kevin wrote: "Wow! I did not know of Roosevelt's speed reading capability. I could use some of that.
Fab review, Laura!"

Thank you, Kevin! I can't imagine reading a book before breakfast every day ... but maybe with practice ...