Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Introverted Mom: Your Guide to More Calm, Less Guilt, and Quiet Joy

Introverted Mom by Jamie C. Martin

2281988
This was an interesting look at introversion from a mom's point of view. My favorite sections of the book were those showing the introverted tendencies of beloved authors such as Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott, and the personal anecdotes about Martin's own experiences with her kids. What didn't work for me as well were the sections on religion, as they came from an evangelical point of view that didn't mesh with my Catholic faith. (The reflections felt especially uncomfortable to me, but I can't comment on them objectively because I don't know much about that sort of writing.) I also found myself bristling at the use of trendy self-help phrases like "do the next right thing" and "self care," which I don't find particularly inspiring. The other disappointment was that there wasn't really any concrete advice on making friends as an introverted mom. Like many self-help books, it advises leaning on friends in times of trouble, assuming that every introvert has lots of those hanging around. If you are an introvert who has already read up on her personality type, there might not be much of anything new this book can teach you. But if you're struggling to understand introversion, either as an introvert or the spouse or friend of an introvert, then this is a good starting point. It was an enjoyable read, but I can't say it made me understand anymore about my personality than I already knew before I started the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Introverted Mom.

Started Reading