Bee ☆'s Reviews > I Wish You All the Best

I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver

In I Wish You All The Best we follow main character Benjamin De Backer, A Non-binary teen that takes the leap and comes out to their parents only to discover that their parents don’t accept their identity and they find themselves stranded during the holidays with nowhere to turn but the sister they haven’t spoken to in 10 years.

While Ben adjusts to a brand new life thrown at them at hyper speed they learn how to cope with Anxiety, Depression, and the aftermath of being kicked out. With their senior year coming to a close they have a lot of changes to go through, trying to decide what they want for their future, trying to mend the broken parts of themselves, and falling in love.

Throughout the book there are ongoing themes of uncertainty within Ben because they’re afraid of being accepted, experiencing gender dysphoria from being misgendered, and dealing with living in a body that some times doesn’t quite fit. Ben finds comfort in their friend Mariam a successful Youtuber that is a Non-Binary Pansexual Muslim and through their long distance friendship he finds the courage to express themselves.

Graduating highschool isn’t all they have to worry about though, Nathan Allan has quite literally been stuck to Ben’s side since they arrived and Ben has to decide whether to let him in and risk being hurt or continuing to hide and find comfort in the sketches and paintings they create.

I Wish You All The Best was wonderfully diverse while also putting an emphasis on mental health and how important it is to put that first. I absolutely adored everything about this book and that made it so hard to put down. Being Non-Binary this book meant so much to me, a lot of what Ben goes through is similar to what I experience so finding relation in that was really important. I wish teenage me had this book when I was younger because reading through Ben’s story was like falling into a comfortable blanket, a safe space. Everyone can learn something from Ben’s story and I encourage everyone to read their story, it’s heart wrenching, raw, and un-put-down-able. This book presents so much positive representation and good lessons to learn I am forever grateful to Mason Deaver for writing this book. Expect this review with a few more thoughts on my blog soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Wish You All the Best.

June 24, 2019 – Shelved