Bee ☆'s Reviews > Dear Haiti, Love Alaine

Dear Haiti, Love Alaine by Maika Moulite

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
Dear Haiti, Love Alaine follows Alaine Beauparlant, a successful student with a promising future who ends up shipped off to Haiti to complete an internship and school assignment about her family’s history.

Throughout her time in Haiti Alaine dives deep into her family tree and reads passages from her mother’s old diary recapping stories that she never knew. Along the way Alaine has to grapple with life changes in her family, a bit of romance from the hot intern Jason, and did I mention a centuries old family curse?

Sister Author Duo Maika & Maritza Moulite will take you on a beautiful and enriching adventure into Haiti’s history and have you laughing at Alaine’s amazing voice in this YA Contemporary.

My Thoughts:

Let me start off by saying that this book was absolutely wonderful as well as informative. Alaine is a Senior and for her last project she has to complete a report and she chooses to write about her family’s history. This book is heavy on the Socio-Political Themes, Haitian Culture & History, And heavy on the humor. It was such an easy read to get through because Alaine’s narration kept me focused on the story even when my body was screaming at me to go to sleep.

When a school project goes wrong Alaine is sent to her homeland to repent and research. I loved following her around the Island and I felt like I was walking along with her and her friends & extended family while she helped her Tati Estelle with PATRONPAL an app created to help fund children in need in Haiti. I especially loved falling into a family’s curse that seems to follow them wherever they go and since Alaine feels that she is the only one that can break her curse it was full of mischief.

This story was also eye opening in how smaller countries like Haiti thrive and how the people there absolutely need as much independence as possible even if assistance may be needed from time to time. The research that was put into this book to create a cohesive story was a knockout as well as the insights to how family relations can be. It was a truly authentic experience and I look forward to #OwnVoices reviews on this book!

It’s a book you can read in one sitting and it’s perfect for teens to read as Alaine comes off extremely relatable within her friendships and how she interacts with the adults and authority figures around her. Alaine is not afraid to be her beautiful Black self and she’s definitely not afraid to let her culture be shown. Her heart and want to do more for the people around her made me smile so many times because I truly believe Alaine and I could have been friends in Highschool. This story offered more than it’s fair share of jaw dropping moments with the drama, storyline and characters. Enough of my rambling, go check this book out! I rated it 4/5 stars.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Haiti, Love Alaine.

June 24, 2019 – Shelved
June 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 27, 2019 – Started Reading
July 27, 2019 –
page 0
July 28, 2019 –
40.0% "I didn’t know this book was going to rip my heart out but i’m ready."
July 31, 2019 –
40.0% "This is such a beautiful book I can’t wait for the ending!"
July 31, 2019 –
75.0% "This is such a beautiful book I can’t wait for the ending!"
July 31, 2019 – Finished Reading