♥ WishfulMiss ♥ 's Reviews > The Evil Queen

The Evil Queen by Gena Showalter

"Evil isn't born, it's made. One thought and action at a time. Take a good look at what you've made."

An amazing retelling of Snow White from the Evil Queen's POV. It was dark and magical, romantic and heartbreaking. You will love Everly and laugh, cry and rage right along side her. If ever there was a villain I wanted to root for it would be Everly. Hands down. I loved this book and this heroic villain!

Props to the author for writing such an awesome take on this fairy tale. The world she creates and the magic she introduces was all mind blowing and amazing. Then there's the very complex characters she brings to life. I was beyond a doubt, emotionally attached to everyone I read about. From riddles galore Noel and her sidekick Ophelia to protective Vikander and Saxon. No surprise that Everly is my favorite lady lead but I also loved sweet Hartley.

If you like fantasy reads that are dark, a touch romantic, emotionally gripping, with morally gray characters and tons of action, The Evil Queen should be added to your tbr.

Favorite Line(s):
The taste of vengeance is foul, not sweet
If only you hadn't believed the deceit.

Underneath our skin, we are all the same, fighting for a little slice of happiness in an unhappy world.

Memorable Moments:
Reese's exit, befriending Phobia and Webster, Hartley's badass battle speech, Roth and Everly at the ball, their first kiss, their last kiss and all the times Everly had the perfectly timed, perfectly snarky comeback.

Would I recommend? Yes. I loved this book and I don't really like series but for Everly and Roth, I don't mind. (Also there are so many other characters you're going to want to see more of! Ty for one and definitely Allura!)

* * * ARC provided for an honest review * * *

*** Rating Explained ***
This could have easily been a 5 star read but I'm a super emotional reader. Meaning I get crazy attached to these characters so the bittersweet ending broke my freakin heart and I'm still bummed the hell out about certain events that happened. I ugly cried and that sadness clung to me even as I cheered that epic ending. I wanted Everly to have her cake and eat it too. She deserved it and I felt like she'd already had enough hard knocks. Did she really need more???

SAFETY INFO: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evil Queen.

June 24, 2019 – Started Reading