mahana (moved accounts. i’m not active stop adding me)'s Reviews > Only Mostly Devastated

Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzales

as an actual bisexual woman who's been a victim of fatphobic bullying her entire life and suffers from pcos, i'm genuinely upset at some of the shoddy representation in this book.

review to come? i'm still fuming about some of the rep, so we'll see

representation: gay mc, bi li, bi side character, plus sized side character with pcos, non-white main and side characters

content warnings: biphobia, fatphobia, homophobia, death of a family member

✨ ARC kindly provided by Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review ✨

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Mostly Devastated.

June 24, 2019 – Shelved
June 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs
June 24, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-and-edelweiss
June 25, 2019 – Started Reading
June 25, 2019 –
13.0% ""I fled. I fled like a bigot dodging the concept of equality."

THE NOISE THAT JUST CAME OUT OF MY MOUTH-"
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbt
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: mlm-or-m-m
June 25, 2019 –
28.0% "there were so many popular culture references on the last page that i’m just bracing myself for a cringe hamilton one. authors can’t write a single m/m without referencing hamilton 🙄"
June 25, 2019 –
29.0% "the only wlw character has been written as the villain, is rude to others because of her repressed sexuality. and just fat shamed her “best friend” 🥵😬🙄😪"
June 25, 2019 –
32.0% "continuing this is putting such a bad taste in my mouth after the mc sympathized more with a fatphobic asshole than the person being fat shamed. y'all hate fat people, we get it"
June 25, 2019 –
55.0% "AND I OOP- there’s the fucking hamilton reference"
June 25, 2019 –
62.0% "i’m genuinely fuming the first time i’m reading about a character with pcos like me is in a book that excuses fat shaming because the mc feels more sorry for the fat shamer and her repressed sexuality. my opinion of this just gets worse and worse"
June 25, 2019 – Finished Reading