FV Angela's Reviews > Vicious

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: read-in-2019, reviewed-for-smexy, urban-fantasy

Review originally posted at https://smexybooks.com/2019/07/angela...

I bought this a while ago when it was on sale for $2.99 or something and then let it sit on my Kindle unopened. But the blurb for this book kept calling me and I finally gave in and made time to read it last week.

I feel like I should mention that it took me a bit to get into this book because time jumps back and forth repeatedly and it is really hard to figure out what is going on. I had to stop a few times and page back and forth chapter by chapter to get the timeline straight in my head.

The other thing I should mention its that there really isn’t any “good” guys in Vicious, in fact they are all broken and glued back together and not quite right. But that’s kind of the point. What happens to not so good people when they gain extraordinary powers? What happens when there is no longer the fear of pain or death to hold them back and keep them on the straight and narrow. This book is about jealousy and power, friendship and betrayal, god complexes and revenge, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Victor is probably one of the best anti-heroes I’ve ever read. Clearly a dark, dangerous man with sociopathic tendencies BUT, I wanted him to win and make it out alive in the end. He and Mitch and Sydney and the zombie dog… I wanted them to make it to the end and find a way to stop Eli.
I was not disappointed.

This is one of those books that when you’re done you just kind of sit back and digest what you just read. It’s different. There is no straightforward good guys, every character is kind of murky and gray and questionable. There are plot twists and an ending I honestly did not see coming.

Now I’m on to book 2, Vengeful. I’ll report back.

Favorite Quote:

of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious.

June 24, 2019 – Started Reading