Kelly's Reviews > Midnight

Mar 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ebooks, free-ebooks, paranormal-romance, read-in-2012
Read from March 01 to 03, 2012

This is one of those books that I'm torn on. I never really got why Amara fell so hard for Marco after he kidnapped her and held her hostage. Which is weird since some of my favorite books use that particular plot device and I'm usually all WHOO-HOO! SEXY KIDNAPPING WITH HOT A HOT GUY WHO CAN'T KEEP HIS HANDS TO HIMSELF! but this time I was just kinda meh about it.

Let's try to figure this out, shall we... Amara wasn't overly annoying, so she wasn't the issue. Sure, she lets herself get pushed around and the men in her life treat her appallingly but she didn't grate on my nerves or anything. I was more annoyed by the way no one ... and I do mean NO ONE ... would give her a straight answer on what was happening to her. I mean, please! You kidnapped the lady, the least you can do is try to explain to her why she's suddenly lost her appetite and is having dizzy spells. Yet everyone, from Marco to Marco's brother (and, wow, they have a weird relationship, don't they?) to Marco's BFF are all... "Oh, I'm sure you're just fine. It's nothing to fret over. You'll snap out of this in a day or two." And I'm all... "WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE TALK TO HER?!?!?!" Yes, I yelled it in my head. And punctuated loudly when I did it.

Now, Marco might have been the teeny-tiniest bit immature. He has very little impulse control and he's a little bit selfish and he's not really forthcoming with the answers Amara needs (I keep coming back to that, don't I? Maybe that's what caused my emotional disconnect. Hmm.) and, OH YEAH!, he freaking kidnapped her and held her hostage. So, no, maturity isn't Marco's middle name.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I didn't really feel the connection between the two of them. Amara fell into his bed mighty easily and it didn't seem to faze her in the least that he was a vampire. Marco was willfully blind to the problems he was causing her and he kept telling himself that he should walk away but by the time he did he ended up leaving her in a very bad emotional and physical place.

Admittedly, the sex was hot, but in this case it wasn't enough for me.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight.

05/07 marked as: read