Shayna Gier's Reviews > The Lure of Shapinsay

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

Mar 01, 2012

With a much better ending! The Lure of Shapinsay is a very enjoyable love story about two lovers who in all intents and purposes shouldn't be together. First they live in different environments (land and sea) and in general their species tends to hunt one another. Then you find out that the selkie are actually weakened by being on land. The whole story seems so tragic and like there can't be a good end to these star-crossed lovers... except for maybe there just might be. I'll not spoil anything here, but if you like mythical creatures and love stories that seem to be hopeless- this is the book for you!

Krista Holle does a wonderful job immersing the reader in the world of an older fictionalized Scotland where myth and reality merge into a single existence. Prior to reading The Lure of Shapinsay, I didn't know much about Scottish myth- ok, so I knew nothing about Scottish myth- but I am now fasciated by these creatures called the Selkie. In fact, my mystification probably is what dragged out this book. The characters are all amazing, though I can't say I care for the brother, and the tale is quite enchanting- the "voice" o' the scottish don't hurt either.

This book was provided for me by the author at no charge, nor was I given compensation
of any kind for this review. This review only reflects my personal opinion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lure of Shapinsay.