Margaret Adelle's Reviews > Then Came Darkness

Then Came Darkness by D.H. Schleicher

I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This novel is much more complex than the synopsis lets on. There's definitely a man with murder on his mind, but it's not just about him. It's a narrative with a lot of threads. Admittedly, the first chunk of it can be a little confusing, as it's told in a non-linear way. There's a lot of jumping back to past memories to explain the plot. But once you get a sense of the overarching plot, there's a lot going for it.

Now this is a dark story where most of the major characters, save for a couple children, have done something horrible at some point in their life. Very few of the characters are entirely likeable (although I found Doris and Pinky endearing) but I don't mind characters with grit.

The atmosphere is tense and brooding. The Great Depression makes a perfect backdrop for the story, putting this pall over everything that sets the mood for a murderous man out for vengeance. It was like"Grapes of Wrath," only creepier and with a lot more murder. Joshua is a man you can almost pity at some parts and outright despise at others.

While I did thoroughly enjoy it, there were some aspects that kept it from being a perfect five star. There were some character death's that needed more gravity than what they got in the narrative. And the ending left me feeling like some plot threads were undone. But the tension of something evil stalking the rural hills of upstate New York made for a delightfully dark read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Came Darkness.

June 23, 2019 – Shelved