Rob Lund's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

bookshelves: library

This was such a great story! I loved that it was mostly unlike anything I'd ever read before, with just a slight familiarity to The Martian in that there was some slow minutia with survival at sea.

But the fantastical nature of Pi's coincidence, being trapped on a boat with zoo animals provided a wonderful parallel to a life of faith and spirituality. The unlikeliness of his circumstances make for an analog to the vagaries of religion.

Pi is a student of world religions. He's a consummate guileless progressive, absorbing the qualities of Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, and Buddhism.

I can always predict how much I like a book by the number of quotes I retain from it. This book is no different. Here are a great collection:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Quotes Rob Liked

Yann Martel
“I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always ... so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you.”

Yann Martel
“To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.”

Yann Martel
“It is true that those we meet can change us, sometimes so profoundly that we are not the same afterwards, even unto our names.”

Yann Martel
“It's important in life to conclude things properly. Only then can you let go. Otherwise you are left with words you should have said but never did, and your heart is heavy with remorse.”

Yann Martel
“If you stumble about believability, what are you living for? Love is hard to believe, ask any lover. Life is hard to believe, ask any scientist. God is hard to believe, ask any believer. What is your problem with hard to believe?”

Yann Martel
“You must take life the way it comes at you and make the best of it.”

Yann Martel
“I challenge anyone to understand Islam, its spirit, and not to love it. It is a beautiful religion of brotherhood and devotion.”

Yann Martel
“The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no? And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?”

Yann Martel
“These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside. They should direct their anger at themselves. For evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.”

June 23, 2019 – Started Reading