Russell Atkinson's Reviews > The Suspect

The Suspect by Fiona Barton

I recently read The Child and enjoyed it so I tried this 3rd installment in the series. I liked this one even more. Barton has a real knack for clever dialogue, especially when the main character Kate is in a give-and-take with her fellow journalists. The plot is well done as well, keeping me guessing until near the end. There's a bit more mother-son relationship stuff in there than I would have liked, but it didn't distract from the main story line. Barton is a newspaper journalist, which no doubt makes the insider feel of the reporter's life feel very real. It's much the same appeal as Michael Connelly's insider detail in his Bosch novels that brings it to nitty gritty life.

Although it may be a bit exaggerated in the book, the horrors of an exotic vacation gone wrong can serve as a warning to any young people planning to go off to Thailand or any other second or third world country for an adventure or to find themselves. It's not as much fun as you think, at least, not unless you plan well and stay vigilant.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suspect.

Started Reading