Jo's Reviews > Erebos

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: e, for-review, 2012, ya, you-got-a-friend-in-me
Read from March 01 to 03, 2012

3.5 stars.

I was a bit wary of reading Erebos at first because I thought it sounded a lot like Ready Player One and while I really enjoyed that book, there’s only so many things you can do with a book about video games, right?
Woah, did you hear that?
It was the sound of a million video game players hissing at me all across the globe.

I’m not even going to pretend that I know the gamer gabble (yeah, that’s not a real thing… I made that up) because I really don’t. I like watching when people play them but I think that is because I love film (I have been known to exclaim “WOW, that film looks really good! Can we go and see it?” And I get a stony glare in reply followed by: “That’s the new Call of Duty, Jo”), puzzles and watching people get so stressed over things on a television screen.
But yeah, I can’t play games for toffee so I’m not going to go on about the gaming aspects of things because I think if I did I’d end up sounding like when my grandparents try to understand the internet.

I decided pretty early on that Erebos and Ready Player One have two things in common.
1) They feature a game.
2) I really enjoyed them both.

But the similarities end there.
I thought the story and the world that Ms Poznanski created both within the game and out of the game was absolutely fascinating. When Nick, our pony-tailed hero, was playing Erebos it was like you were actually sat behind him looking over his shoulder and experiencing the world as he was. You could almost hear the gravel crunching under his character’s feet, the rustle of the trees and the scrit-scrat as poisonous scorpions came scuttling towards you.
Yes. THAT HAPPENS.
And you actually felt that there was peril involved. OK… maybe that was just me, but when Sarius’ life bar was dwindling…peril.
Setting some of the story in the world of Erebos really added a whole new aspect to the book, something completely different to anything I’d read before. It felt like I was reading a fantasy novel, one of those proper ones with quests and swords and elves.

And the scenes in the real world were just as exciting. While at first I did have my “Um, would that really happen?” and my “Err, why is there only one adult who is mildly concerned?” moments, I soon ignored them and just threw myself into the story.

And then when the two parts merged? *shudders* Tense.

I liked Nick, he was a good guy. He didn’t blow me away with his personality, however, but that really didn’t matter to me. This book wasn’t about individual characters and personalities (although I did adore Jamie) but more about how they all fit together for the whole picture. All together these characters made a great cast. I loved how they interacted together with little hints as to what was coming next, both in the real world and in Erebos.

I do have a few minor quibbles with Erebos, however.
You know when someone is like “Oh god, don’t look over there. No… just don’t it’s absolutely horrible.”
And then of course the first thing you do is turn around and look?
That’s kind of what happened in this book because I had been forewarned that the translation was a bit off. Now, I’m not blaming anyone because I’d probably have noticed it any way but I was definitely on the look-out for it.
The translation was pretty dicey. This book was set in London and, without ruining everything, that’s an important aspect of this story. So when everyone was running around texting on their cells and having dramatic exchanges during their recesses and getting yelled at by their moms, it was incredibly jarring.
Also, the ending was a bit… unbelievable, which is rich of me to say as I have just said how much I enjoyed a book about an omnipresent computer game that controls people. It wasn’t disappointing as such but it was definitely a bit convenient and there was definitely a sense, at some point in the near future, the characters were going to be like: “Oh my god, you guys remember when that computer game completely changed our lives?! Wasn’t that awesome?! Hahaha, didn't one of us nearly die?! LOLOL."
I guess I just needed more repercussions.

But enough of my whinging about little things, because I really, really enjoyed this book and I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what else Ms Poznanski will come up with next.

Unnerving, exciting, mysterious and unique. If that sounds like something you’d enjoy; I wholly recommend trying to get your mitts on one of those blank disks that are circulating and being swapped in darkened alleys.

Or… um, this book.
It’s less perilous and people-getting-hurt-y.

OR IS IT?!

Just watch out for the messenger with the yellow eyes.
He’s definitely up to no good.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publishers via Netgalley.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting things on my blog, Wear the Old Coat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erebos.

03/02/2012
9.0% "This is gooood. Also it seems I have an inability to read books about computer games without thinking of MI (my sole experience with games). So Nameless= Guybrush. :-D" 1 comment
03/03/2012
51.0% "Just been reading non-stop for about 2 hours. Pretty sure I now know how Nick feels. *twitch*"

Janina I'm really happy you liked it, too! Looking forward to reading your review :).

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Janina :) I really enjoyed this one!

message 3: by Reynje (new)

Reynje I very nearly got this today.. can't wait to read your review :)

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I think you'd enjoy it Rey. The ending is a bit too neat but the rest of it is great! :)

Angela glad you liked it, I thought this was great as well.

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Angela! I knew I probably would enjoy it but I didn't think it would be 4 stars good. :-D

I'm so behind with my reviews.. I'll get there eventually. :)

message 7: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Okay, on the list it goes! Your brilliant review has me convinced :)

But...

...

ponytail?
ponytail?

message 8: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Rey, I think you'd like this one. Did you ever read Ready Player One?

And I know. I was concerned too. But you're not encouraged to fancy Nick, he's not even swoony in a gaamerboy (is that a thing?) way, so it's not really an issue.

#ponytailnightmares

message 9: by Reynje (new)

Reynje #gamerignorance

I haz it. My gaming knowledge is.. poor.

I haven't read Ready Player One - I don't think we have it (yet?) But Erebos is out here, so I think I'll check it out.

#mentalhaircutsforever

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I saw a boy with a ponytail and a shaved head the other day.

How is that even possible?!

message 11: by Reynje (new)

Reynje I wonder if you grow all the hair long first, then shave the top OR keep shaving the top and growing out the tail?

The mind boggles.

message 12: by Jo (last edited Mar 10, 2012 03:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo It makes me upset to think of such things.

It was the bottom of his head that was shaved though. I'll ask him if I see him again and when he's explained it to me I'll explain to him how stupid he looks.

message 13: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Oh.

I was picturing some kind of Extreme Mullet.

Curiouser and curiouser.

message 14: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo No, I was trying to find a picture of it but I became too distressed.

Kind of like this.

ps. That Rathbone chap has had some mental hair. I know he's in Twilight, but what else has he been in? He looks familiar.

message 15: by Jo (last edited Mar 10, 2012 04:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Also - "his hairline is very square". LOLOL.

I'm going to judge men on the angles of their hairline from now on.

message 16: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Saying he has a "huge collection of hairstyles" makes me think he has an entire room of.. scalps. Ew.

Square hairline > square jawline, it seems these days.

Because everyone wants to be new, hip and trendy :D

message 17: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo With ricockulous hair.

*grumbles*

message 18: by Sonya (new)

Sonya A computer game that can control players' lives? I'm intrigued! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Great review, Jo! :-)

message 19: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Sonia, I hope you enjoy it! :-D

Angela My boyfriend has a ponytail (his hair is much longer than mine) and has it shaved round the sides. I tried doing his hair once to save him going to the barbers & accidently shaved a massive chunk out of it. I'm not allowed to do his hair anymore.
Oh, and definitely NOT a mullet! Those things look ridiculous.

message 21: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Ha, oh gosh, I'm sorry Angela! I didn't mean to completely rip apart your boyfriend's haircut!

I just have an aversion to ponytails haha.
I like my men to have boring hair. :)

Angela oh, and apologies for pointing out the poor translation!

message 23: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo No worries, love! Like I said, I would have caught on to it anyway!

Angela Angela wrote: "My boyfriend has a ponytail (his hair is much longer than mine) and has it shaved round the sides. I tried doing his hair once to save him going to the barbers & accidently shaved a massive chunk o..."

Haha, I'm not offended man, he suits it where many wouldn't. I've seen photos of him with short, normal hair & it looks awful so he's not allowed to cut it off now.

message 25: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Ha, that would be the exact opposite with me. If I was going out with a guy with a ponytail he'd have to watch out for me when I was holding scissors.... for I might trip and accidents might happen.

*whistles*

Catie Haha, I was laughing so much at the translation of this. And that "scene" from the future is definitely going to happen! Hilarious review Jo!

message 27: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie *scrit-scrat* is a sound I do not ever want to hear

message 28: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke LOVED Ready Player One... and I just don't know if this one will compare. *sigh*