Suzannah's Reviews > Shard & Shield

Shard & Shield by Laura VanArendonk Baugh

bookshelves: fantasy, rating-pg-13

When a spell goes wrong and Black Mage Ariana Hazelrig is trapped in another dimension with her people's hereditary enemies, king's bastard Shianan Becknam must commit treason in order to ensure she can find her way home.

SHARD & SHIELD is the first of Laura VanArendonk Baugh's books that I've read, and it took me just a couple of chapters to fall in love with her hero Shianan, who reminded me of why I love the Angsty Bastard trope so much. It didn't take me long to fall in love with the other major male characters in this story either. The characterisation work here is rich and sensitive, and the book is full of wonderful moments - one that sticks with me sees two half-brothers, one our despised bastard and the other the privileged crown prince, confront each other in bitterness and discover an unexpected rapport.

The book did have some weaknesses, however. While relationships among the male cast are very rich and well-developed, Ariana, our main female character, never quite came alive for me, and neither did her relationship with Shianan, which drives the main conflict. Indeed, I thought the main conflict of the story was somewhat weak and out of focus during the middle section of the story.

But then, I'm someone who always prefers a strong driving plot in a story. If you love to read about sensitively-drawn characters navigating a difficult and treacherous world, you'll probably love Shard & Shield.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shard & Shield.

Started Reading
June 22, 2019 – Shelved
June 22, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 22, 2019 – Shelved as: rating-pg-13
June 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Fonch (new) - added it

Fonch I am astonized there are excellent writers of fantasy that i do not know. I feel as Alexander the Great when he arrived to India. He felt sad because he could not conquer more worlds i feel the same i am sad because there are so books for reading :-(