Rhiana's Reviews > The Final Empire

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: high-fantasy

The book was very good, and very enjoyable. I wish I could give it a 4.5 stars, because that's what represents it best. I can't give it 5 stars, simply because after reading The Way of Kings by Sanderson, this just wasn't quite as good.

It has a good dose of stock characters, and the basic story is fairly reused. However, he has a very fluid style of writing, and he makes you care about all of the characters. He puts enough spins on the classic tales that it is a unique read, but a unique one composed of old material.

The geologist side of me thinks that the magic system is a bit whacked, but well explained. If I wasn't a rock geek, I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest, and I am only slightly bothered by it.

The ending of the book felt slightly rushed, but it was still pulled together well.

I am glad I chose to read this when I did, because it contained enough darkness to be serious, but not so much as to be disturbing or depressing.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy, but I likely would not recommend it to people who aren't interested in the fantasy genre in general.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Empire.