CJ - It's only a Paper Moon's Reviews > Playing for Keeps

Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: ebook, bad-boys-turned-good, beach-read, contemporary-romance, cute, familyconflict, feel-good, funny, romance, steamy
Recommended to CJ - It's only a Paper Moon by: Catherine
Read from April 24 to 25, 2012

Wow.

I did not expect this book to be so good. I really didn't. The first couple of pages were sort of 'meh' but once you get past it you are on a rollercoaster of humor, romance and some steamy smexy times.

I can completely relate to Haley, the outwardly introverted pushover with a passion for video games, the Yanks, beer and baking. I may not be such a complete pushover as she is but I've had many an awkward situation in which I've merely shaken my head yes even if I knew someone was taking advantage. I've also had the 'fists of fury' moments. So, Haley, being slightly geeky, adorable and a pushover finally snaps when her neighbor from hell, Jason (the good-looking playboy with a penchant for late night parties and property destruction) starts ripping up her prized tulips. She goes from quiet to straight up Xena.

Due to tulips, bees and a Yankee game, the two start to bond and become friends. Which is something neither one of them would have thought could ever have happened if you had asked them a week ago.

Haley discovers Jason's weird obsession with food - especially her chocolate peanut butter brownies - and his bottomless pit of a stomach. Oh and his ability to do whatever the hell he wants and not care about the consequences. Jason sees that being friends with a girl, especially one as smart and funny and just plain cool as Haley isn't a bad thing.

They both grow because of their friendship, each finding qualities within themselves that they never nurtured or knew that they had.

With the constant spending time together (at work and at home), they begin to become dependant on each other, not in a weird cokehead dependant relationship, but it seems their minds and bodies know that they want each other (when I say they are a great complement to each other, I mean it) it's just their hearts are a little reticent to recognize what it is that it needs.

There were a few things that bugged me about this story. Some parts jumped ahead too quickly leaving me a bit confused for a second as there was no real indicator how long time had passed. Also, most likely due to the fact that this is a shorter story, certain things felt a little pushed (not forced but like someone took the plot and gave it a nudge in the small of its back. It then stumbled but then quickly uprighted itself) and the constant re-use of words in a short length of time threw me off.

The writing was a bit clunky at times, word choice and usage could have been better, and span of time could have been delineated clearer. However, the story itself makes up for all of it. The characters are delightful (although Jason baffles me with his use of the word 'woman' constantly) the relationship feels real and the smexy scenes are downright steamy.

Thanks Catherine!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Keeps.

Quotes CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Liked

R.L. Mathewson
“I hate you," Haley mumbled, storming past him to grab a carriage.
"You love and adore me," Jason informed her as he deftly snagged her carriage away from her and headed towards the men's department.”

R.L. Mathewson
“Soon he was picturing little girls with mischievous green eyes and pigtails asking him to play tea. Of course he'd bring real food to the tea party. None of that pretend food bullshit for his little girls.
By the time Haley had stopped for breakfast he'd been calmer about everything. He'd already decided to ignore that breakup nonsense. It was just ridiculous and he knew sooner or later Haley would realize that so they could get started on making their all girl baseball team.”

R.L. Mathewson
“Jason had to bury his face against her shoulder to keep from laughing out loud. She was just so damn cute. “Stop laughing at me! I’m a threat, damn it!”
Jason pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. “No, you’re my sweet little grasshopper.”

R.L. Mathewson
“It wasn’t like he was purposely being an asshole. It just came naturally to him.”

R.L. Mathewson
“He glared accusingly at her while he made short work of his clothes. "You didn't wake me up."
She rolled her eyes as she speared a piece of sausage with her fork. "I did wake you up. Three times in fact. Each time you threw something at me and went back to sleep."
Jason gaped at her. "And you gave up? You know our routine, woman. You have to
keep at it until I'm forced to get off the bed to find something to throw at you.”

R.L. Mathewson
“As he was gasping for air he realized something. He was in deep shit. Haley was his life now. His woman. His heart.
He was so screwed.”

R.L. Mathewson
“Maybe you should just admit that you're crazy about me," he said, leaning in to kiss her again.
"And why would you want me to do that?" she asked, still smiling.
"Because I'm playing for keeps, my little grasshopper.”

04/24/2012
4.0% "The writing is a bit clunky and amateur but I'm interested enough to continue."
04/24/2012 page 61
28.0% "Not the worlds best writing but oh my god the story is so good!"

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Catherine Yay!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I had such fun reading the book.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon I can't wait to read the second one and her other series.

message 3: by Catherine (last edited Apr 25, 2012 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine Watch out for Tall, Dark & Lonely. I got that one free but it was really, really bad.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Oh no that's the one I wanted to read. Ok, good to know. Off of the list.

Catherine It was seriously weird and clunky. Sorry. :(