Christopher's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: own-it-want-to-read-it-again
Recommended to Christopher by: Cillian Beyond Birthday
Read from March 20 to April 20, 2012

Astonishing attention to detail (perhaps to a fault?). The specificity of Tolkien's vision was at times literally distracting as I thought to myself "who has this kind of imagination?"

'Easy to see why this is a classic, pioneering work. I just finished it and I want to read it again...maybe this time with a map of Middle Earth and a glossary of Tolkien-isms. And with practically all the main characters breaking into song every spare moment, where is the LOTR musical?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

03/21/2012 page 53
04/02/2012 page 230
54.0% 1 comment
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Christopher Yes I honor you...and I've had the book(s) for 18 years untouched! Seriously, you sound like you enjoyed it so I figure why not?

Christopher Maybe I will borrow it. My editions have VERY simple maps at the beginning of every couple of chapters like something I'd draw on a napkin. Its odd considering the level of detail of the dialogue. Anyway, Fellowship was slow at points but it did pick up nicely the last third of the book. I'm hoping for the same from "Crime and Punishment" because I am seriously bored with it right now and I really should finish it before I go on to something else. It started out being an interesting study of a murder and it's justification and then it became about Raskolnikov's sister and her fiance. I also gave up on "The Idiot" a year ago and I dont want to make it 2 Dostoevsky books in a row. I'm going to buy the cliff notes and read that and find out what the hell I'm reading! After that I'll get started on The Two Towers.

Christopher Wow. That looks awesome! How much is it? I want one! I'm trying to think if I ever saw this on the shelves--it looks familiar...(??)

Anyway, I got a chance to read what other Goodread-ers wrote in their reviews of "Fellowship" and, not surprisingly, what I read was very insightful, both the positive and negative reviews. I thought they would be when I joined and I wasnt wrong. It's nice to get different perspectives, especially educated ones

Well, have to finish my Raven book and then on to The Two Towers

Christopher Gollum should have his own book. ...and I was referring to the 50th Anniversary edition. I want that.

And btw apparently there was a LOTR musical. Of course.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Speaking of the musical...I remember watching it when it stopped by Toronto.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cillian wrote: "Mocha ღ Latte wrote: "Speaking of the musical...I remember watching it when it stopped by Toronto."

How was it, cupcake?"

Good but nothing amazing.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Cillian wrote: "Please tell me Gandalf didn't sing or dance..."

I....I...*faints*