Chris Huff's Reviews > It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered

It's Not Supposed to Be This Way by Lysa TerKeurst

Not the best book on the topic, but a solid and personal work that will undoubtedly help many people through many struggles.

Maybe it's just because I'm not a southern woman, but it was a little hard to relate to some of Lysa's stories and ways of saying things. While biblical, it almost seemed like every other sentence belonged on a Hobby Lobby decoration to hang on your wall. When I read a book such as this, I often read it as if I were sitting down and talking with the author. Can I relate to them? Do they speak to me in a way that shows that they understand my life? Philip Yancey's book "The Question that Never Goes Away" passes these tests. Lysa's book, on the other hand, reads as if she strung together dozens of Hallmark cards.

This is not at all to discredit Lysa's experience and wisdom. I can definitely see myself recommending this book to her target demographic. It's real, honest, and biblical. I thank God for Lysa's humility and transparency to share even her most difficult trials.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not Supposed to Be This Way.

Started Reading