Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

bookshelves: classics, favourites, fiction, romance
Read 4 times. Last read June 17, 2019 to June 21, 2019.

“I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.”

I’ve only read two of her novels, but after reading Persuasion, I’ve fallen irrevocably in love with Austen.

For me, this surpasses Pride and Prejudice. While I swooned over Elizabeth and Mr Darcy, the sweet love story within Persuasion is a new-found favourite of mine. It is Austen’s final novel and features her most mature heroine, Anne Elliot. As a reticent, well-read and extremely patient character, she is someone who a lot of readers can identify with, my introverted self included. Contemporary women were bound by cultural assumptions, one being that women married solely for practical, rather than romantic, reasons. However, Austen pleas for change as we witness Anne resolve both the internal and external forces that keep her from pursuing her own happiness.

Then, we have the cast of brilliant characters. Some are so absurd they had me laughing out loud; from Mary’s over-dramatic outbursts to Sir Walter’s irrational stubbornness. Moreover, Austen’s writing is sarcastic, clever and full of witty remarks on social absurdities. If I had one complaint, it would be that there were too many men named Charles!

There was something so comforting about reading Persuasion. I flew through Austen’s witty prose and she well and truly defies the assumption that ‘classic literature is boring’. Oh, and Wentworth’s love letter is the single most beautiful piece of writing that has and will ever exist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

Finished Reading
August 30, 2018 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
August 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Paperback Edition)
June 17, 2019 – Started Reading