Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛'s Reviews > Courting Kate

Courting Kate by Tori Kron

1939326
Disclaimer: This review MAY contain spoilers. I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions expressed in my review are my own.

I adore sports romances and this one was definitely one that I enjoyed. I usually like them on the steamier side, but I still very much adored this one even though it is a clean read. I actually had no idea that it was a clean read before I picked it up.

I think that the character development for the two main characters in this story was pretty much perfect. For a fast-paced story, we get a lot of background information and character traits that show us what kind of people they truly are. The information about the characters isn't shoved in the readers' faces either. Everything is introduced at just the right time so that the storytelling feels completely natural. Both main characters, Kate and Miller, have a bit of character growth in the story. It wasn't anything tremendous, but there was some growth nonetheless.

I thought that the plot of the story worked really well. I was a little skeptical when Miller was crazy about Kate's BFF, Stella, at the start of the book. I wondered if this fact would sour me to the story, but things worked out rather well. I did think that this point could have been developed a bit more, at least where Miller's change in feelings was concerned. It felt like when he truly felt something for Kate that his feelings for Stella just flipped like a switch, which felt a little unrealistic to me. And I thought that the resolution between Kate and Stella over Miller was a little too low-key. Otherwise, I felt that the plotting of the story was great. It kept my interest and was truly engaging.

I enjoyed this romance very much. It is a cross between a good girl/bad boy story and an enemies to lovers story. Not really enemies but more of a dislike to lovers story. The dislike on Kate's side is all due to Miller's reputation. She judges him before she truly knows anything about him. Miller doesn't necessarily dislike Kate, though he definitely isn't into her at the start of the book. Kate is very much a good girl and Miller plays the part of the bad boy, though the reasons for his bad reputation are out of context. I thought that the slow-burn romance was fantastic. I love nothing more than a gripping slow-burn romance and this one was perfect in that respect. I loved the chemistry that built between Kate and Miller over time. I love that they fall for each other over time as they learn more endearing qualities about the other.

I was slightly disappointed with the epilogue. It gives us a glimpse of what the next book in the series will probably be about and I didn't have a problem with that at all. What was disappointing is the fact that it didn't really give us any more depth into how the relationship between Kate and Miller had progressed. They aren't even together in the epilogue, they are talking on the telephone. It was clear that they had been dating and their feelings were clear, but I suppose that I was expecting more at the end.

Overall, I was delighted by this book! It is a wonderful fast-paced sports romance with characters that will win you over undoubtedly. The plot is engaging and will make you root for the main characters throughout the story. I will definitely be reading the next book in this series!