Rocky's Reviews > Don't You Forget About Me

Don't You Forget About Me by Suzanne Jenkins

Mar 01, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Suzanne Jenkins gets a four star rating for the simple fact that her book is filled with numerous characters; none of which I cared for in the least bit. I am a pretty empathetic person, so this is pretty amazing in my reading world.

Don't You Forget About Me is a story of three women who are somehow functioning day to day after having their mutual lover/spouse die of a sudden heart attack. The book takes plenty of twists and turns only to end on another element which leaves the author the option of writing another book.

I did not read the prequal to this book, but the three female main characters have a relationship that is unfolding and becoming more complicated as each day passes. Pam, Marie, and Sandra are women who appear to be of sound mind and body. However, they are paying the consequences for decisions they have made. Sandra was involved with a married man and she knew it. Marie was sexually involved with her sister's husband and she didn't seem to be overly concerned that there might be a conflict of interest. Pam was a pampered woman who sure didn't seem to be street smart when she needed to be.

Pam was technically married to Jack, but that didn't stop Jack from doing what Jack wanted to do. (I don't care what happened to Jack as a kid, people can turn their lives around and be a positive contributor to society.)

I felt all of the women were so weak and gulible. I didn't really care how the author laid out the storyline. The women were clueless and taken advantage of. The author does present foggy explanations as possible reasons where things started to go wrong, but none were confirmed. I believe this leaves the door wide open for another book.

Once I picked this book up I could not put it down. I always like reading about a train wreck with a hot mess at the end of it.

If you think you are having a bad day, the lives of Pam, Marie, and Sandra are pretty bleak and hopeless. Maybe that is why I didn't feel depressed by the content. Compared to my life, I'm a lucky, lucky girl!

Can't wait for the next book!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't You Forget About Me.