Brenda's Reviews > There Was Still Love

There Was Still Love by Favel Parrett

What an utterly divine, beautifully written novel There Was Still Love is by Aussie author Favel Parrett. Moving, profound, I’m blown away by this book. I loved the author’s previous novels, and this one is exceptional.

Set in Prague in 1938 and 1980, and Melbourne in 1980, it tells Eva and Mana’s stories and that of their grandchildren. Ludek lives in Prague with his Babi while his mother is a long way away working, and Mala Li ka lives in the tiny Melbourne flat with her grandma and grandpa. Love; the past; the present – all link together as there was still love; always.

Although There Was Still Love is a work of fiction, the author has drawn from the lives of her grandparents, showing the kindness and love which was always present. A very memorable book which is told mostly in the voices of the two children, and which I have no hesitation in recommending highly. The cover is beautiful, with the fox having special meaning.

With thanks to Hachette AU for my ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Was Still Love.

June 20, 2019 – Shelved
September 9, 2019 – Shelved as: sent-by-publisher
October 1, 2019 – Started Reading
October 1, 2019 – Shelved as: own-read
October 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Sounds great Brenda - I loved her earlier books :)

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Brenda!

Brenda Thanks girls - Carolyn, I'm sure you'll love this one too!

message 4: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe lovely review Brenda.

Brenda Thanks Dale :)

Jenny Isn't it just gorgeous, one of the stand outs for the year! Great review Brenda.

Brenda Yes Jenny it sure is! I just enjoyed reading your review too. It's one of those books that will stay in your mind for a long time isn't it!

Jenny Brenda wrote: "Yes Jenny it sure is! I just enjoyed reading your review too. It's one of those books that will stay in your mind for a long time isn't it!"

Yes it is, I will definitely read it again.