David S.'s Reviews > The Bottoms

The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: horror, 5-stars

WOW!!!!! It's been a long time since I've given 5 stars to a book. Lansdale's novel "The Bottoms" deserves maybe a 5+. Yes, it is that good!

While reading it you see sort of an ode to Harper Lee's masterpiece "To Kill a Mockingbird"; however, I guarantee that this book will never be taught in high school because of the content.

As other reviews have stated already, readers understand that the story takes place around the depression time, in Texas. It is narrated by the main character, who is now an old man in the last months of his life. It deals with a serial killer, race relations, man/women relations, status relations, and an amazing story about childhood that at some points almost makes the reader cry because of the ability to understand the innocence that he misses so.

Lansdale's book should be hailed. Yes, hailed, as the classic it is. If this ever gets made into a blockbuster hollywood movie, I can see Oscar awards, and Lansdale becoming a household name. Not just a cult hero that I've been following for close to twenty years.

Am I exagerating? Read it, and tell me!

Recommended? Damn right! This is what books are suppose to do to one's soul.

5+ stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bottoms.

March 1, 2012 – Started Reading