Lysia's Reviews > The God of Small Things

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Jul 09, 2007

Read in August, 2007

The author talks about the God of Big Things and the God of Small Things, but it seems to me that the more important of the two is Small Things. The little things that are said in passing, a look, a perception - all of these things are usually the trigger for the Big Things... the culmination of the events leading up to it. That is what this book is all about.
As with most books that I love, I finished it with a feeling that I wanted just a bit more. I wanted to know whether Rahel and Esthe openly discussed what happened to them with the hindsight of an adult looking back on childhood events.
I was really moved by the final chapters, particularly the scene in the police station where Esthe is brought to identify Velutha as his "kidnapper". It broke my heart to think that Velutha dies thinking that Esthe could betray him that way, but on some level I hope he understood that Esthe was not making this choice of his own accord, but at the behest of that evil witch Baby Kochamma.
I adore Indian literature, and this book does not disappoint. Her language and style of prose, although totally different from the other Indian authors I have read, speaks in a way that seems so similar of Indian authors - descriptive in a way that uses varied forms of language to paint the picture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of Small Things.