Carol [Goodreads Addict]'s Reviews > Halton

Halton by Melanie Moreland

bookshelves: contemporary-romance

Halton is book six in the Vested Interest series by Melanie Moreland. This can easily be read as a stand alone. As is normal, the characters do recur from the previous books but will not take away from this one if you haven’t read them. Thus far, I have only read the previous book, Van. I fell so in love with him and thought there was no way I could love another Hero more. Until this book, until Halton.

We first met Halton (Hal) Smithers in the previous book when he was hired as a lawyer for Van and Olivia. He is thirty six years old and has dedicated his life to his profession. He helps those that have been hurt by the one that had promised to love them forever. He sees the worst side of marriage, the ugly side. Halton doesn’t believe in love, in happy ever afters. His own past and his career have proven it doesn’t exist time and time again.

young woman with long silver hair

Fiona (Fee) Hutchings needs help. And she is convinced that Halton Smithers is the best person for the job. Her husband is divorcing her and has taken everything from her. Who better to represent her than her husband’s greatest adversary?

“I wanted to take away her pain and ease her stress.”

Halton has never felt an emotional connection to any woman he has dated. Especially not to any of his clients. But as soon as he met Fiona, he needed to ease her stress, take away her pain. This feeling baffled him. He had no idea what to do with these feelings.

courtroom

As Halton and Fiona spend time together, their connection deepens. What Halton is feeling breaks every one of his rules. But he can’t help himself. She is so much stronger than she gives herself credit for. And somehow when she is near him, he felt peaceful for the first time in years.

cuddle

As Fee’s situation escalates, she and Halton are thrown together even more. It becomes impossible not to cross that final thread they were both hanging on to. But, Halton still insists, I am not a long term man. I am only a here and now. Fee deserves her own happy ever after and he knows he will never be able to give that to her.

This book was amazing, Halton was everything. I think I started falling in love with him before the end of the first chapter. There were so many twists and turns in this. I know I gasped more than once. But, I also swooned, I sighed, and I smiled, a lot! Halton was one sexy beast. I absolutely loved the epilogue. Melanie Moreland writes the BEST epilogues.

In closing, I just want to say, “Read…This…Book!!! Halton is waiting for you! I do plan to go back and read the first four books in this series. I loved these last two so much I am going to HAVE to get the other character’s stories. I can’t wait to see what Melanie is going to do next.

“You made a dream I didn’t even know I had come true, Fee.”

For more about this book and so many more, come and visit me at Carol's Crazy Bookish World.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halton.

June 20, 2019 – Shelved
June 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2019 – Started Reading
June 21, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
24.0% "Chapter 7
It should have felt strange holding her, yet it didn't. It felt right."
49.0% "Chapter 12
Together, Fee. We're going to face this bastard together."
77.0% "Chapter 17
I held on for dear life. This was going to be an even better dance. I knew it."
June 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS You sure have been having great luck with your series reads, Carol ;) So glad you loved and terrific review!! 💚💜❤️

Carol [Goodreads Addict] KAS wrote: "You sure have been having great luck with your series reads, Carol ;) So glad you loved and terrific review!! 💚💜❤️"

Thank you, KAS! This book!!! Halton!!! He was just everything!!!

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Moreland Thank you so much! Thrilled you enjoyed Halton!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Melanie wrote: "Thank you so much! Thrilled you enjoyed Halton!"

I fell so in love with Halton. I'm so dang glad you decided he needed his own happy ever after, Melanie!

message 5: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Simply fabulous review Carol!!💖😉💋👍

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Kat wrote: "Simply fabulous review Carol!!💖😉💋👍"

Thank you, Kat. That's exactly what this book was, Simply Fabulous!!! XO

maggieandteddy Great review Carol. I'll keep my book envy to myself. I will just have to get this one. Great GIFs as always. Those EYES <3

message 8: by Karla (new)

Karla Super review, Carol! xoxo

Carol [Goodreads Addict] maggieandteddy wrote: "Great review Carol. I'll keep my book envy to myself. I will just have to get this one. Great GIFs as always. Those EYES <3"

Thank you so much!!! I can't say enough how much I loved this book. And, the one before it, Van. Both books totally blew me away and made me fall in love!!!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Karla wrote: "Super review, Carol! xoxo"

Thanks so much, Karla. Halton was just everything! Everything!!!

message 11: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Terrific review Carol! :)

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Aisling Zena wrote: "Terrific review Carol! :)"

Thank you so much, Aisling! This book, Halton, was just everything!!!

message 13: by ❤️ Paulette (new)

❤️ Paulette Spectacular review, L💕veツ,

Carol [Goodreads Addict] ❤️ Paulette wrote: "Spectacular review, L💕veツ,"

Thank you so much, Paulette. I loved this book like crazy!!

message 15: by ❤️ Paulette (new)

❤️ Paulette Carol [Goodreads Addict] wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: "Spectacular review, L💕veツ,"

Thank you so much, Paulette. I loved this book like crazy!!"

It's Always Pleasure ❥So glad you enjoed your read L💕ve ツ

Janet Taggart Baldwin Really awesome review! Should make everyone want to read this amazing book!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Janet wrote: "Really awesome review! Should make everyone want to read this amazing book!"

Thanks so much, Janet!! I hope so. I want everyone to experience Halton's awesomeness!!!

message 18: by Radd Reader (new)

Radd Reader Great review and nice selection of a yummy man picture. 😍

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Radd Reader wrote: "Great review and nice selection of a yummy man picture. 😍"

Thank you!! And oh my gosh, no picture is as yummy as Halton really is!! ;)

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Happy Release Day, Melanie Moreland!!

happy book birthday

message 21: by Bookloverme (new) - added it

Bookloverme Amazing review, sweets! :) Is it safe from sexual abuse (past or present)?

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Bookloverme wrote: "Amazing review, sweets! :) Is it safe from sexual abuse (past or present)?"

Thank you so much. I loved this book like crazy. No, there is no sexual abuse. The heroine and her ex hadn't been sleeping together for several years before they split.

message 23: by Bookloverme (new) - added it

Bookloverme Carol [Goodreads Addict] wrote: "Bookloverme wrote: "Amazing review, sweets! :) Is it safe from sexual abuse (past or present)?"

Thank you, sweets! Glad you loved it. :) xoxo