*~blerdsmith~*'s Reviews > Jane Austen: Seven Novels

Jane Austen by Jane Austen

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: classically-inclined, been-meaning-to-read, should-be-read-at-least-once

*****added April 2012******
I'm giving Austen a rest for a while. I conquered my apprehension of reading her novels and actually ended up liking a few of them. But I can't continue with Emma. It's just too boring, and I don't think I can bear another hundred + pages of it.

I bought this for myself as a Christmas gift. For years, I've been meaning to see what all the fuss was about concerning Jane Austen. In high school I had attempted to read Pride and Prejudice, but never got past the first few chapters. In college, we read Northanger Abbey in a women's literature course and I remembered not liking it very much, but I think at the time I wasn't really reading as closely as I should have and was really just burnt out and ready to graduate. Anyways, I got this collection of her novels and started with Sense and Sensibility. And I really really enjoyed it. Immensely. As others have stated, not much happens in her novels, but there's just something about them that compels one to keep reading. After finishing Sense and Sensibility, I devoured Pride and Prejudice in a couple of days. I see why so many people love it; it has become one of my favorites now as well. Mansfield Park was a little dull in some parts, but I liked it, and I liked Fanny Price despite what some may say against her. So now I am working on Emma. I plan to finish this collection and them read everything else biographical that I can find on Austen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Austen.

December 9, 2011 –
page 22
1.79% "This requires close reading, and because of Austen's style of writing I sometimes I have go back and re-read sentences, but it's well worth the effort. This is the kind of mental stimulation my mind needs."
December 12, 2011 –
page 79
6.41% "It took me a minute to get into the novel, but after the situation with the Dashwood sisters and their mother was established and they began meeting the inhabitants of Barton Park, I found myself turning pages in quick succession. I am very interested to find out what happens between Elinor and Edward, as well as what the situation is with Marianne and Willoughby."
December 17, 2011 –
page 198
16.07% "Finish Sense and Sensibility today. Overall, I enjoyed it, even though at times it was a bit tedious, but I liked it better than I first thought I would."
December 22, 2011 –
page 231
18.75% "Just getting into Pride and Prejudice, but I think I'm going to take a break from Austen for a bit and come back to her later."
January 7, 2012 –
page 405
January 14, 2012 –
page 434
February 16, 2012 –
page 660
53.57% "Whew! Finished Mansfield Park a few days ago. I have to say, it was quite a chore to read at some points. I think so far this is my least favorite Jane Austen novel. I'm going to take a little break from this behemoth book and read something a little lighter."
March 1, 2012 – Started Reading