Mahala's Reviews > Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

Feb 29, 2012

Read from February 29 to March 06, 2012

I liked Fifty Shades of Grey minus the little flaws here and there. But to my surprise, I LOVED Fifty Shades Darker. It picked up right where the first one left off. It was way better second time around. Better writing or better editor, whatever it was it was just better, because the writing seemed more tighter. There wasn't as much "oh my's" this time around and her "inner goddess" wasn't as annoying. The sex scenes were bearable not as corny too. But I must say there were quite a lot of them. I found my self saying "again?!" sometimes it got a little to redundant.

But what was great about this one is that Mr.Grey has turned all romantic on us. He exposes his softer side if you will, but he still has that little edge to him and had me swooning throughout the whole book. I know some people were complaining about that but I think it was smart for James to evolve the characters or else she would just be writing the same book. As a reader I expect some progression with the characters. Both Ana and Christian are almost complete opposite from their original characters giving in to what each other needed in the first one. Which is why it made it a proper sequel to the story. It was sweet to see their relationship turn into something more solid as they began to trust each other taking their relationship further than just sex. I'm glad the sarcastic banter between both of them and emails are the same except Christian is more playful. Their email signatures had me cracking up. I just couldn't stop gushing. It was romance in all it's glory, and I swear Ana is so lucky. Like a modern Cinderella story including all amenities, a prince charming and all the "kinky F-ery" you could imagine.

E.L. James also introduced some other characters to tie up loose ends (no pun intended lol) of the first Fifty book. And this time packed it in with a whole lot of suspense and even had a little mystery thriller going on at the end. I found this book to be far more than a shallow erotica/romance novel. It's more than that. The story line is solid, the characters stick with you, and it offers so much more than just sex.

So far this series exceeded my expectations leaving me with wanting more. I don't want it to end! But we'll see where the next one takes us... on to the next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Darker.

02/29/2012 page 50