Carisa Catherine's Reviews > Two Dark Moons

Two Dark Moons by Avi Silver

Please note: I have received a free advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like a science teacher who is about to draw something on the board. I feel the need to preface this with "I am not an artist!".
I am not a writer, the goal of my review is just to be as honest as possible.

I loved this book so much, and I wish I had owned this book earlier in my life.\
Silver set out to write a book about all of the things they adore (queerness, self-love and giant lizards) and managed to squeeze it all seamlessly into one cohesive, interesting story. This book casually touches on so many themes and elements that would have made my life make a lot more sense if I had read it as a YA reader (my peak reading time).

I loved giggling at the antics of the characters and felt strangely protective of them as I was reading. Sohmeng can be annoying at times, but it still manages to come off as endearing. Part of my attachment to Sohmeng might have something to do with our shared method of coping: Humour. On the other hand, Hei appeals to the animalistic impulses in me: protecc, snacc, and fight bacc. These two main protagonists are basically just thrown together under strenuous circumstances. The fact that the two characters get along at all is nothing short of remarkable, but Silver does an excellent job of slowly building their dynamic and making sure their relationship to one another doesn’t feel forced.

On top of having captivating characters that keep me invested in the book, the overarching story itself was one that touched on some good themes such as the balance of nature as well as learning to accept yourself in a culture and a world that rejects you. A lot of what makes this story so compelling is the integration of the world building and these themes while still maintaining a storyline you never feel you stray from. Avi Silver does a great job of making sure the culture of the world feels cohesive and yet is never explicitly stated. A good example of this is the fact that Sohmeng's favourite phrase “Godless night” is seen as a bad thing or a swear, indicating that the worst thing you can be in this culture is without gods or without moons.

I would strongly recommend this for YA readers (particularly queer or otherwise marginalized readers) as this book tackles themes I wish I could have confronted at a younger age.

I'm excited for the rest of the Sãoni Cycle and see where this adorable oddball family goes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Dark Moons.

Finished Reading