Samantha's Reviews > The Postman Always Rings Twice

The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain

Right from the get-go, I knew main character/narrator Frank Chambers was trouble, the kind of trouble that makes for a great story. I think Cora knew it, too, but that didn't stop her. Frank is the narrator, and he's full of pithy noir crime drama lines like "Stealing a man's wife, that's nothing, but stealing his car, that's larceny" and "her lips stuck out in a way that made me want to mash them in for her."

The book is short (about a three hour read for me), wasting no breath on philosophy or overthinking. It's the story of a post-depression drifter who meets a woman who turns out to be the gasoline to his fire. The violence of their passion is still powerful on the page some 85 years after the writing. Things escalate fast, and it's hard to look away even though you know while you're reading that the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

The beauty of the book is that you find yourself cheering for people who are doing reprehensible things. I already knew how the story would turn out, having seen the movie with John Garfield and Lana Turner, and knowing the tropes of this sort of book, but I still read with bated breath, waiting to see if they'd get away with it, or what was going to trip them up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postman Always Rings Twice.

June 19, 2019 – Started Reading