Michael Jarvie's Reviews > Common People: An Anthology of Working-Class Writers

Common People by Kit de Waal

I have monitored the progress of this book since its inception with some interest. In fact I had hoped to be able to submit some of my own life writing for inclusion, but was prevented from doing so by the gatekeepers at New Writing North. As a working-class writer, being rejected is my default position. Unbound are therefore only one in a long line of publishers who have turned down my work.
What you should know is that this collection is heavily weighted towards female writers: 23 out of 34 to be precise. However, in terms of the quality of the writing on display it’s a considerably more accomplished product than the earlier book “Know Your Place”.
The variety on offer is particularly satisfying and any self-respecting working-class reader or writer should add it to their collection. What comes across time and again in these splendid essays and memoirs is a vivid sense of place.
The cynic in me does wonder whether this is simply an example of the middle-class publishing industry flagellating itself as a public relations exercise. Nevertheless, I have this book to thank, since in June of this year I decided to self-publish my own collection of working-class life writing, so it would be fair to say that “Common People” has been quite an inspiration and driving force in that respect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Common People.

Started Reading