Eidalis Vaquedano's Reviews > Submarine

Submarine by Joe Dunthorne

U 50x66
Feb 29, 2012

Read in February, 2012

For me, Submarine was a very enjoyable read. It was filled with witty humor, believable emotions, and detailed characters. First off, Submarine was filled with enjoyable and witty humor. The author, Joe Dunthorne, had great timing with the humor. It wasn’t overly funny, but it also wasn’t boring. He had a very nice balance. Secondly, Joe Dunthorne was able to create a relatable story with characters who had real emotions. The main character, Oliver Tate, was a fifteen year old dealing with parents who were drifting apart and falling in love with a girl, all in high school. Joe Dunthorne’s writing style was also a contributing factor to this because I was able to feel as if I was in Oliver Tate’s mind while reading. I was able to sympathize with his character. Lastly, Submarine had detailed characters. This detail refers back to what I was saying about being able to feel as if you’re able to take a look inside Oliver Tate’s mind. I felt like I could do that with most characters.
Overall, Submarine was an enjoyable, humorous, and surprisingly uplifting (for me at least) read. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend if given the chance!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Submarine.