Kristy Lin Billuni's Reviews > Moon Fiji

Moon Fiji by Minal Hajratwala

bookshelves: beloved-writers, reviewed

Fiji was not on my short list, but it is now. If you could hear the sweet tones and relentlessness with which my wife has been reading to me from this book, you would think it a volume of love poetry. And maybe it is. Minal Hajratwala, also a journalist, teacher, and poet, has written a tempting and inspiring travel guide. It provides sensual descriptions in the voice of someone who’s spent a lot of time and wants to curate the best possible experience. Minal tells you where you’ll first land and unfolds your choices from there, like a Choose Your Own Adventure novel. A good travel book introduction is indispensable, and this one’s top-10 list and general orientation really drew us in. When recommending an experience, Minal doesn’t just tell you where to go to get more information. She tells you what to ask for. She offers itineraries that fit my comfort level but also challenged me to fantasize about stretching my travel ambitions. The guide also includes very helpful orienting maps for this complex region. Reading it, we felt empowered to visit a place we knew nothing about and curious to read the Moon guides for other destinations we’ve been intimidated to visit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Fiji.

June 1, 2019 – Started Reading