Abbey Ann's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Feb 29, 2012

bookshelves: read-march-2012, 4-out-of-5, books-reviewed-by-me
Read in March, 2012

Also posted at http://abbeyannsbookland.blogspot.com

When I first started this book, I was afraid I wouldn't like it. I haven't really read much dystopia, so I was a little leery going in. Let me just say, this book did not disappoint!

WHAT I LIKED:

1. The Cover Yes, I know this is a bit superficial, but the cover was one of the main reasons I was interested in the novel in the first place. It's so creepy, yet it's so beautiful. Definitely one of the best I've seen in a while.

2. The Writing Even though there were some spots were it seemed like the book dragged on a little, overall the book flowed quite nicely.

3. The Characters OMG! I loved Araby! I totally found myself relating to her, you know if I was a party-loving, drug addict who blamed herself for her brother's death. And I probably would be if I was in her situation. For most of the book, I really like Will. But then he had to go and do that thing at the end, and it totally ruined him for me. Elliot on the other hand, I didn't really care about. It's not like I had a problem with him, he just didn't do anything for me.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

1. The Ending I can not state enough how much I despised the end. I can't go into detail with out giving away too much. In my opinion, I feel like the author used all her energy in the beginning and middle of the novel, and then finished it up in a hurry. There were also a few twists I didn't care for. Especially the one with Will. That's probably where most of my hate for the ending lies.

I contemplated giving the book 3 stars instead of four, but since the good mostly outweighed the bad, I opted for the latter.

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, but that in no way affected my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

03/01/2012 page 95
04/23/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

♥Rachel♥ I'm always lured by the book cover, Abby! I liked this one too. In spite of that "thing" Will did, I'm still rooting for him to get the girl. :)

Abbey Ann ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "I'm always lured by the book cover, Abby! I liked this one too. In spite of that "thing" Will did, I'm still rooting for him to get the girl. :)"

Hopefully Will redeems himself in the next book.

♥Rachel♥ I hope so! (view spoiler)