Nola Redd's Reviews > Hidden Empire

Hidden Empire by Orson Scott Card

Feb 29, 2012

bookshelves: fiction-science-fiction
Read in December, 2016

Yet another fantastic book by OSC!

As usual with Card, a well developed story line is paired to excellent and credible characters to create another page-turning read. Having read the first book in the series, Empire, I knew that the general 'sacred' expectations were likely to be broken, but I'm afraid some of the plot turns in Hidden Empire took me by surprise. As such, I suppose it could be called realistically written.

Hidden Empire in many ways reminded me of Card's Shadow series, in terms of some of the political actions that came into play. But unlike the Shadow series, where we catch a glimpse into the mind of the political head of state and see how he agonizes, Hidden Empire keeps his perspective completely under wraps. This means that we don't know how much said head of state - Torrent - is manipulating events, and how much is him simply taking advantage of them.

To be honest, when I closed the novel, I wasn't exactly excited by the conclusion. Only in rethinking things for this review am I reconsidering some of the choices Card made in his storytelling (and I won't give those away for you). But just because I didn't particularly like it doesn't mean that others won't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Empire.

12/06/2016 marked as: read