Stephanie Jobe's Reviews > The Boggart

The Boggart by Susan Cooper

Feb 29, 2012

it was ok
Read in November, 2010

I read this years ago but honestly I couldn’t remember what I thought of it. It was probably quite similar to my feeling right now. Meh. I don’t dislike it but it falls sort of flat in comparison to The Dark is Rising Sequence. It is heavily dated by the technology used. I mean I read the description of the computer the nerds drool over to my boyfriend and we both laughed out loud. Black and white monitors and floppy disks are something more alien than time travel to today’s kids. A modern kid would tell you to email the boggart. You spend a lot of time watching the boggart’s tricks but because he quickly forgets things even his own grief he is hard to relate to. To use my character terminology I feel like the kids are round but they are not dynamic. No one changes. There is no lesson learned at the end. It hardly feels like a resolved conflict even. I did think she did a good job of giving a decently well rounded view of the people within the theatre world without introducing to many alien concepts for kids. Though dear world, as an ex-stage manager why oh why do you always have to portray us in literature and film as either a glorified light board op or the crazy nazi with a megaphone? (Cooper goes with light board op). I have the 1995 edition, though there is a new one with a less dated cover but we all know any library has the old cover with a computer older than anything kids today have ever seen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boggart.

02/17/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. My top pet peve with reviewers: novels can only be time capsules of when they are written! Where I'm with you at two stars is that how computers WORK is incorrect (along with errors about Canada). Good points about no resolution and theatre.

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 17, 2016 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stephanie Jobe C. wrote: "My top pet peve with reviewers: novels can only be time capsules of when they are written! Where I'm with you at two stars is that how computers WORK is incorrect (along with errors about Canada). ..."

Some books age better than others. At the time I was in library school looking to become a school librarian and was very conscious of how books appeal to children. To us it is a time capsule, but to students that don't remember that time period it is a lot stranger to read.

message 3: by C. (last edited Feb 17, 2016 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. You are in a perfect place to know what appeals. :) Here's what I mean, as a future author. We can't and should not, were it possible, twist books to accommodate the future. If children want to see modern times, they read modern books. If they choose 1993, they get 1993. I don't want to keep my books flat and standard to avoid not ageing well. But boy, did Susan get technology wrong even for that year and Canada too! You might enjoy my two-star review too from a very different complaint point. LOL. Lovely talking with you!