Amanda's Reviews > Siren

Siren by Hazel Grace

bookshelves: add-to-bookshelf, want-to-re-read

***WARNING: TISSUES WILL BE REQUIRED TO READ THIS***

Now that that is out of the way, and I think I've cleaned up all the mascara running down my cheeks, let's see if I can write a review of this dark retelling of something akin to The Little Mermaid.

Hazel Grace is a new to me author, and boy what a way to learn about who she is as an author. She literally took my hand, stood in line with me at the roller coaster, strapped me in then waved goodbye to my bawling form as it took off up the first incline to the first drop! Good lord, my heart is hurting so good right now, that I might even forgive her for the tears. I can count on one hand the number of books that have made me cry... Anyways, back to the story.

Did you know you needed a more adult version of The Little Mermaid? Cause I didn't, but now having read it, I'm not sure I could live not having it. She creates such a world that you can't help but be stuck behind the veil with everyone else. Such vivid colors and emotions, like nothing feels quite as peaceful as that little island. Then add in characters that you feel for on a complete OTHER level, like my heart is still tied to Davina, Dagen, and Tobias.

The way these character's lives are braided together makes the stakes even greater. Three worlds collide, each with their own collective of people they are trying to save or protect. From Davina's six sisters to Dagen's Viking clan, each having to make such sacrifices, you aren't sure how your heart will stand it. *CUE TISSUES* I literally flew through chapters to make sure my heart was going to be put back together, that the words became a blur on the pages. Don't worry, it's worth putting your heart on the line and pushing through.

When my ride came to a complete stop, and Hazel gingerly removed me from the car, I definitely felt like I still had my sea legs, but f*ck what a rush. Sooo worth every high, low, and crazy twist along the way.

If you are following along with The Sinister Fairytales Collection, DON'T MISS THIS ONE! You need it in your life, and be sure the box of tissues next to you is full. Don't say you weren't warned!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siren.

June 18, 2019 – Shelved