Amanda's Reviews > Lock

Lock by Kimberly Knight

liked it

Before even getting to the story, I appreciated knowing, which version of Rapunzel I was going to get, so that way I wasn't heartbroken when I expected someone like Flynn Ryder from the Disney version and didn't get it. This was more based on the Grimm's Brother version, something dark and almost sad.

The beginning started with a bang, literally and figuratively, and I was eager to see how she was going to add to the already dark tale. I enjoyed the seedy twist of the criminal empire, and felt like that really did it justice. Zell and Frankie's connection was sweet and innocent in essence, thinking they knew it all, like most do at the age of 18. Both wanting freedom in different aspects, and while also not wanting to lose that child like life, even though both have been thrust into the real world well before now.

I do feel like somewhere about half way through the book it went from this intense, dark story, about finding a way to get out of the bloody lifestyle of the mafia and save the girl, to almost an play by play of what was going on from an outside perspective and no longer being connected to the characters. With the various perspectives the story was being told from, and almost a future voice giving its knowledge, I felt like I lost the second half of the of the story. Which was sad, cause the I was really wanting Frankie to keep with the confidence he'd built and burn the empire to the ground.

Now that being said, just cause it ended up not being for me, I did loved the idea she created about the Rapunzel fairytale and hope that it really clicks for another reader.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock.

June 18, 2019 – Shelved