Julie 's Reviews > The Widow of Rose House

The Widow of Rose House by Diana Biller

bookshelves: 2020, e-book, netgalley, historical-fiction, ghost-stories, gothic, paranormal, st-martin-s-press
Read 2 times. Last read December 31, 2020.

The Widow of Rose House by Diana Biller is a 2019 St. Martin’s Griffin publication.

My kind of ghost story!

Alva Webster has returned to New York amid scandalous rumors swirling around her after the death of her estranged husband.

Ready to put the past behind her, she purchases Liefdehuis, and old mansion she intends to refurbish, then feature in a book about interior design.

The house, unfortunately, has a reputation for being haunted. This scares away the workers Alva needs, so she eventually succumbs to the overtures of one Sam Moore, an attractive man who is interested in studying the potential paranormal activity in the house.

The chemistry between Alva and Sam is undeniable, but Alva has dark secrets in her past that makes her wary of romantic entanglements.

Meanwhile, it would appear there really is a ghost, prompting intensive research to uncover the truth behind the haunting.

If my memory serves, I added this book thinking I would read it for Halloween, but I never got around to it. Now, over a year later, I’m finally pulling it up to the top of the TBR pile.

While this would be a nice book to read at Halloween, any time is a good time for a spooky ghost story. I had forgotten the premise of the book at first, but soon found myself immersed in the history, the mystery, and the red-hot attraction between Alva and Sam! Whew!

This book surprised me! I didn’t have any expectations one way or another, but this book turned out to be more than I bargained for! The author painted a vivid historical portrait of the time period, created a spine-tingling atmosphere, with shades of Gothic horror, added compelling commentary on mental illness, and provided a wonderful love story to cap it off.

Although this one was a bit steamier than I usually feel comfortable with these days, I really, really liked this story!!

Tackling the TBR list is turning out to be a whole lot of fun!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widow of Rose House.

June 17, 2019 – Shelved
December 31, 2020 – Shelved as: paranormal
December 31, 2020 – Shelved as: st-martin-s-press
December 31, 2020 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Fantastic review, Julie! I think I’d enjoy this kind of ghost story!

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! I think I’d enjoy this kind of ghost story!"

Thank you, Jennifer!! I think you would too!! 💖

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Terrific review Julie ♥️

message 4: by ren ♡ (new) - added it

ren ♡ Great review!! This has been on my kindle for AGES. Going to bump it on my my TBR before I forget to read it!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Terrific review Julie ♥️"

Thanks so much, Maureen!! 💖

Julie ren ♡ wrote: "Great review!! This has been on my kindle for AGES. Going to bump it on my my TBR before I forget to read it!"

Thank you, ren!! It languished on my Kindle for a long time too! Hope you enjoy it!! Happy reading!! 💖

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Sounds a great read... happy new year Julie 😊

Julie Sandra wrote: "Sounds a great read... happy new year Julie 😊"

Thank you very much, Sandra!! Happy New Year!! 💖🎉💖

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Glad it surprised you! Nice review, Julie. Happy New Year!

❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀ This sounds perfect for me and it's on Cloud Library. Thank you! Happy New Year Julie!

Julie Jen wrote: "Glad it surprised you! Nice review, Julie. Happy New Year!"

Thanks so much, Jen!! Hope you have a save and happy new year!! 🎉💖🎉

Julie ❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀ wrote: "This sounds perfect for me and it's on Cloud Library. Thank you! Happy New Year Julie!"

Thank you, Rory! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Happy reading and Happy New Year!! 💖🎉💖

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Awesome review Julie!

Julie Karen wrote: "Awesome review Julie!"

Thank you very much, Karen!! 💖

Carolyn I liked it too! Glad you liked it as well. Great review, Julie!

Julie Carolyn wrote: "I liked it too! Glad you liked it as well. Great review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Carolyn!! Glad you like this one too!! Hope you have a safe, healthy and happy new year!! 🎉💖🎉

message 17: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen Excellent review Julie. I have in my TBR

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Great review, Julie!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Excellent review Julie. I have in my TBR"

Thanks so much, Maureen!! Hope you enjoy it, once you get a chance to read it!! Happy New Year! 🎉💖🎉

Julie Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Brenda!! 💖

Debra Fabulous review, Julie! I love a good ghost story, I'm going to move this up on my list.

Julie Debra wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! I love a good ghost story, I'm going to move this up on my list."

Thank you very much, Debra!! I think you'll like this one! 💖

message 23: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy So glad you liked it! I enjoyed it as well! I’m inspired to tackle my own mountain of TBRs!

Julie Susy wrote: "So glad you liked it! I enjoyed it as well! I’m inspired to tackle my own mountain of TBRs!"

Thank you, Susy!! Glad we both enjoyed this one!! Happy New Year! 🎉🎉🎉

message 25: by Richard (new)

Richard Sounds like a great spooky read ..........fab review Julie :)

message 26: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Julie!💖

Julie Richard wrote: "Sounds like a great spooky read ..........fab review Julie :)"

Thank you very much, Richard!! It was! 😊

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Julie!💖"

Thank you very much, Kaceey!! 💖

Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February) Fantastic review, Julie! I am glad this book was a good surprise!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! I am glad this book was a good surprise!"

Thank you very much, Meredith!! 💖

*TUDOR^QUEEN* This sounds great!!! Really enjoyed your 🌹 📖 💓

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "This sounds great!!! Really enjoyed your 🌹 📖 💓"

Thank you very much, TQ!! 💖

message 33: by Mary Eve (new) - added it

Mary Eve Sounds good! I'd love to inherit (or buy!) an old haunted mansion...I think.😱 Fab review as always.

message 34: by Shruti (new)

Shruti Fab review, Julie! Happy New Year to you ❤️😘