Lauren's Reviews > Normal People

Normal People by Sally Rooney

This is a new favourite. I see from the author bio that Sally Rooney and I are the same age (which makes me feel sad about my life that I haven't produced anything as poignantly beautiful as this novel), and that makes sense to me because even though the characters are varying degrees younger than us/me, I feel like she's captured every feeling that I've had and been able or unable to put into words. I started reading this on the train to work yesterday and immediately knew it'd be one of those I'd be picking up in every free moment until I finished: at lunch, on the way home, before bed, and then until I reached the end a few minutes before my stop on the train again this morning. Each chapter jumps ahead minutes or days or weeks or months to another pivotal moment in the relationship of the two complex and relatable and wonderful protagonists, but the story is such that you can easily fill in the gaps in between because it's likely you will have some similar experience in your own life or, if not, because they are so real and genuine that you can guess what they would have done because you know what you would have wanted to do. This is one of those books that I almost feel was written especially for me, and I feel privileged to have read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Normal People.

June 17, 2019 – Shelved