megs_bookrack's Reviews > Gemina

Gemina by Amie Kaufman

Read 2 times. Last read January 17, 2021 to January 25, 2021.

THE BEST MOST WONDERFUL REREAD OF ALL REREADS!!!
💙🖤💙🖤💙🖤💙🖤💙

I originally read Gemina, the second installment of The Illuminae Files, in December of 2019. I listened to the audiobook and I had a hard time connecting with it. I really felt like I didn't retain any of the story.

I decided to pick it back up and give it another shot, as for me, I genuinely believed it was a choice of formatting versus a story issue.

Oh, how right I was. I loved my time reading my hard copy and was surprised to learn there was artwork by Marie Lu, one of my favorite YA authors, incorporated into it!

This time through I was connected right away. I could not put it down and ended up finishing it very quickly.

Gemina takes place on the Jump Station Heimdall and follows two new characters, Hanna, the station captain's daughter, known to be a spoiled princess, and Nik, the resident bad boy with a heart of gold.

After the Kerenza invasion, you may recall from Illuminae, that Kady Grant was heading to the Heimdall Station; unfortunately, she's not the only one.

When a BeiTech strike team boards the Heimdall, it is up to Hanna and Nik to work together to try to salvage all they can and hopefully expose BeiTech and their misdeeds along the way.

This gets seriously intense. As with Illuminae the unconventional structure makes this a unique reading experience. One that is memorable and a ton of fun!

I am hoping to continue on with Obsidio very, very soon and add this to my completed series list!

I cannot recommend this series highly enough. I am so happy that I went ahead and reread this as opposed to skipping straight to Obsidio. Hanna and Nik are now two of my favorite characters ever and I would have missed that had I not reread this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gemina.

June 17, 2019 – Shelved
June 17, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
December 21, 2019 – Started Reading
December 24, 2019 –
page 130
19.61% "All I want for Christmas is TIME to read!!! 😂🎄🎅🎁"
December 25, 2019 –
page 244
December 26, 2019 –
page 265
December 29, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 17, 2021 – Started Reading
January 17, 2021 –
page 56
8.33% "I am so happy to be rereading this. I am already loving the hardcover wayyyyyy more than the audiobook. I had no clue there were journal entry illustrations drawn by Marie Lu!!! They're incredible 😍 is there nothing she can't do!? 🙌💙"
page 130
19.35% "Proving format is everything, I am loving this so much more this time!!! While the plot is starting to come back to me, I am finding the hard copy much more enjoyable!! Yayeeeeeeee"
page 205
page 282
41.96% "Flying through this!!"
page 354
January 20, 2021 –
page 367
54.61% "How can I be this nervous 😓 😬
I've read this before!! I know how it turns out!! 😄😂"
January 20, 2021 –
page 440
65.48% "This is soooo good!!!
I love Hanna, Nik and Ella all soooo much 🖤🙌"
January 21, 2021 –
page 464
January 23, 2021 –
page 494
73.51% "Hanna ____ing Donnelly. That's who.

😅🙌🖤🙏"
January 23, 2021 –
page 561
83.48% "🤯"
January 25, 2021 –
page 634
January 25, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review meg!!💋😉💞👍

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review meg!!💋😉💞👍"
Thank you so much, Kat!! 🥰💋

message 3: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab review Megs! :) x

megs_bookrack Aisling Zena wrote: "Fab review Megs! :) x"
Thank you so much, sweetheart! xo

marta TRY AGAIN!!! it’s one of my favorites of the series and despite the heavy hard copy it goes by incredibly fast. Regardless of your decision, happy reading!

message 6: by DJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

DJ I felt the same way about Gemina. Illuminae and Obsidio were great but Gemina was just ok.

megs_bookrack Marta wrote: "TRY AGAIN!!! it’s one of my favorites of the series and despite the heavy hard copy it goes by incredibly fast. Regardless of your decision, happy reading!"Thanks, Marta! I loved Illuminae so much and part of my enjoyment, a large part, was how incredibly fun and unique the format of the hard copy was. I missed that listening to the audiobook for the second one. I have a feeling the hard copy will bring that joy back for me!

megs_bookrack DJ wrote: "I felt the same way about Gemina. Illuminae and Obsidio were great but Gemina was just ok."Oh really!? Interesting, so maybe it isn't the format, but just the story is a little lackluster in comparison to Illuminae. I was missing Kady and Ezra.

marta I really hope so! It’s unlike any other book I have read. I think that’s why I have such a high opinion of it. Happy hard copy reading :)

megs_bookrack Marta wrote: "I really hope so! It’s unlike any other book I have read. I think that’s why I have such a high opinion of it. Happy hard copy reading :)" Hahaha, thank you so much! I'm gonna do it! xx

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ I had to listen to the audiobook to get through this one and I feel the same about the audio for it

megs_bookrack Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "I had to listen to the audiobook to get through this one and I feel the same about the audio for it"Oh no! Am I going to have a worse time reading the hard copy?!

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ megs_bookrack wrote: "Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "I had to listen to the audiobook to get through this one and I feel the same about the audio for it"Oh no! Am I going to have a worse time reading the hard copy?!"

I personally had a harder time with the last two books, they just weren't as enjoyable :/

megs_bookrack Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "I had to listen to the audiobook to get through this one and I feel the same about the audio for it"Oh no! Am I going to have a worse time ..." Oh man. I have a feeling I may be the same, Madi. I loved Kadi and Ezra so much. I was actually surprised when they weren't the focus of the second book.